OT - But you folks are so helpful ...Gluing plastic

I bought a digital camera for my daughter a few years ago. It's a Canon point & shoot, but with a better than usual set of settable parameters: Shutter and Aperture priority, etc. It still works fine, and she hasn't really abused it, but 2 of the 3 the battery door clips - tiny little flimsy tabs - have broken off. The door just barely holds closed, and the next stiff breeze may break the last tab off as well.

She's had a lot of fun with it, and has learned a little about what the various setting do. I figured I'd just get her a new one. Turns out that Canon's successors to this model are actually less capable, missing all of the semi-manual settings. That same model can still be found here and there, at three or four times the original price.

The battery door is available on line, but the broken parts are on the camera body proper. For now I'd like to glue a couple of small pieces of Velcro, the kind that are sold as cable wraps, to the shiny plastic body of the camera; a long piece to wrap around the door and a short "anchor" piece for it to mate with around the other side.

The spring tension of the battery terminals is significant, so it would have to be a pretty strong bond. Any ideas?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Have you contacted Canon? there "might" a recall fix.

Reply to
Leon

Greg Guarino wrote in news:jemq3j$5qu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Duct tape is the usual solution...

One idea I had is to glue a tube on the camera body near the battery door. A bent piece of (stiff) wire would pass through the tube and be free to rotate and allow the door to open when it comes time to change the batteries.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Greg Guarino wrote the following:

A picture would be better. There are probably a half million Canon Point and Shoot camera models. Maybe a model number for those of us that do not have that camera can google to get an idea of what it looks like. Just googling 'canon point and shoot battery door' brings up a lot of complaints about the door. This site may help:

down to member vo van for some pics of his battery door problem. His links have to be cut and pasted.

Reply to
willshak

For now I'd like to glue a couple of small pieces

Like a small allen wrench.

would pass through the tube and be

That's not such an outlandish idea, but what kind of glue do you think would work?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Household Goop. See this helpful glueing advice:

Gerald Ross

Greg Guarino wrote in news:jemucq$u49$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It all depends on your materials... If you've got the right plastics, something like Tenax 7R would work well. If you've got plastic and metal, you'll need an epoxy or screws.

Regular CA glue would work for the short term, at least for prototyping. It'll hold different materials together, but it just won't do it very well...

Screws are available all the way down to 1/8", especially in sizes from

2-56 to 0-80. They might be a bit of a specialty item for a regular hardware store, so look on Amazon or at a hobby shop. (You'll also need a drill and tap set.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

jb weld and not the "quick"

Reply to
Steve Barker

but if we're going to all this trouble over a camera that could be improved by buying a new hundred dollar camera, why not just stick a 3" clamp on the dam thing and have it over with?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Double stick foam tape.

Reply to
dadiOH

What with the advances in electronics, I suspect a newer camera can do a better job automagically than your daughter could with almost any combination of manual settings.

Reply to
HeyBub

I had an older HP digital camera with a similar problem. I just wrapped a large rubber band around the camera and over the battery door. The challenge is placing the rubber band so it does not interfere with any of the controls or optics, so it may not be feasible for your camera.

Reply to
Larry W

I dare you to say that on any photography forum.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No Way.

Reply to
Richard

I'm imagining the analogous argument here about planes, or shellac...

"You rub the blade on what? A STONE? SEVERAL stones? And then with leather?" "You mix up bug barf in alcohol?" "HD sells wood that is plenty straight already and little yellow cans of modern chemistry to cover them with".

I'm no pro at photography either but I'm not bad at it:

find quite a lot of use for those manual tweaks, and there's no small satisfaction to be had from a more hands-on approach. I like that my daughter has started to learn a bit of that too.

Reply to
Greg Guarino