OT? *BIG* Woodworking Project

Many thanks to all who responded. I've been reading and thinking all day about what you've said - and copied what you've written into a permanent directory so that I can expand my perspectives by review.

It may very well be that I was mis-directing my efforts by trying to contribute to the recovery of terminally-ill patients. I jokingly call my CNC "Sancho Panza" - but in real life I try to avoid head-to-head confrontations with windmills. :)

I think I should have made clear that I wasn't (actively) looking for ways to expand /my/ enterprise (I do that, but that's not what this is about). Rather, I hoped to improve the prospects for those who might benefit from diversification into "green energy", and to keep /their/ employees on /their/ payroll.

Y'all have given me a lot to think about, and I'm grateful.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You are correct.

Indiana is an "Agency Shop" state. The difference between a "Union" shop and an "Agency" shop is that in the latter, an employee need not actually join the union but must, nevertheless, contribute dues and initiation fees as if he were a union member.

I regret the error. Coming as I do from a Right To Work state, I hope I'll be forgiven for lack of expertise on union matters. We just don't have much contact with unions or union members in Texas.

Except for the UPS drivers, of course.

Reply to
HeyBub

Who, last I heard, made over $50k a year, base.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Morris ...

There are many communities in the midwest that have economic development organizations whose major purpose is to assist companies in relocation. As one would assume, companies with immediate needs for hiring hundreds of employees get the lion's share of attention, but a smart EDO would want to hear your story. As others have written, put your focus on local chambers of commerce and similar organizations. They will have staff who know how to read a business plan. The right organization will come bearing gifts like tax incentives and relo assistance.

I'm in the Milwaukee area and if I can be of any assistance drop me a note (drop the nospam from my email address).

Larry

Morris Dovey wrote:

Reply to
TD Driver

I give them a little more time to respond. It's been my experience that most city governements have a hard time responding to anything within a couple of weeks.

If you still don't get any action, as has been suggested by others, you might want to go directly to one of the manufacturers.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

--- begin quote Averages are so misleading. Average UPS drivers pay at this time 12/07/2007 is about $72,000 cash, and benefits of about $30,000.

But driver with enough senority can get more overtime by "bumping" junior employees and with 15 hours of OT can earn over $90,000 and with 20 hours OT can earn over $100,000 cash not including benefits.

So a senority driver can earn OVER $130,000 in cash and benefits. There are ways to earn a few thousand more by working vacations and over lapping vacations with paid holidays.

HeyBub

How about the Left Coast? Our Governor is trying to leave a legacy of setting Oregon on the path to being a center for alternative fuels, technologies, etc. Several RV manufacturers have gone bankrupt and unemployment is 5th in the nation. You would probably get a lot of incentive from Portland, but it may not be the best place to be. See opportunities throughout the state:

a toll free number:

could set up everywhere from the Pacific Coast, to rural wine producing areas, to Cascade Mountain foothills, to high desert, to full Urban. In the Portland area you even have access to a high tech workforce.

If I can help with more information, just ping me.

Reply to
LD

One caution with that, if you are trying to obtain cooperation from a government or other official, using a nuclear option such as the media is not the best way to start off a working relationship. You might get an initial grudging meeting or two, but there will be "significant hurdles that just could not be overcome to come to closure" and the only thing you will wind up with is wasting your time.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:34:08 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

A) They likely felt that to sub-out to you would seriously undermine their workforce by spoiling them with fun new work.

B) Big RV mfgrs are clueless as to how to do things "small." Don't sweat it. That's how small business stays in business while large corporations die off during downturns. The bigwigs (and smallwig manager-types) do only the things they have been doing and are incapable of thinking outside the box, as it were.

Asking many months later, did any ever call, write, or email back?

A friend of mine used to work at the San Marcos, CA 'Windybagel' assembly plant. They did absolutely everything in-house, often at a much higher end cost. Oddly enough, they hired very independent, creative types, but harnessed them into old, staid assembly plans. I doubt that Windybagel management was alone in its narrow thinking.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No response of any kind - I would guess that there might have been enough federal stimulus money available to take care of the plant owners and the municipality, and there probably wasn't much need to take care of the townsfolk who moved away to find other work.

Reply to
Morris Dovey