OT: Backup Software

I did for years until we had a problem and "the boss" thought it might be better to have more than just me available when something goes bas. The guys he brought in to solve the problem changed EVERYTHING ( and have not made it any detter than it was before, when it all comes down to it)- and coming up towards retirement I was just as happy to let them have the problems and take the blame. An upcoming merger may change the whole system again - and I'm just too happy to not be in charge of THAT.

Reply to
clare

I know how that goes. The Powers That Be just fired most of our IT department and hired an outside firm which promptly hired all the firees back at lower salary on one year contracts (except for the one who got real jobs somewhere else). You can imagine how that's going.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I use Acronis. Mostly with success. I've had it give me troubles getting started but when it copied it always worked. I haven't asked it to do much - back up a PC and / or server in anticipation of a drive crash on the machine. Right now I'm in the process of moving from an Xp desktop to a Win10 laptop. The laptop is my 1st experience with 10 so the migration is a little bumpy. Acronis does have a validate function that basically does a file by file check for duplicity on a previous backup. It takes nearly as long as the backup but I've never had an Acronis restore fail. A 300 gig backup takes about 2 1/2 hours. A validate takes about 1 3/4. There. Now I jinxed myself. I gotta go now and sacrifice a chicken.

Steve

Reply to
SnA Higgins