ot ACCORDION REPAIR

This is way off topic but this was the only place I could think of to get some input

I was just told there is a possibility that I could get my mother's accordion. It moved out of the family but stayed with in extended friends. The last time I saw it was about 20 years ago, it was playable but had a stuck valve. It the time it was probably 40+ years old.

Does any one have any idea if this instrument would be still in a condition that would make it worth while to get it, and get any repairs necessary, if it is repairable.

Yes it there is sentimental value, but in dollars I don't know how much it would be. I would hate to spend a 1000, and it never be able to be repaired.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Maybe make an offer contingent on it being "in working order" first. Or perhaps buy one just like it that is. Good luck!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Average selling price at auction around here for a good working accordian is under $300 . If it is an off-brand or student uit, it is hard to even get a bid. A primo Hohner can go over $10,000. So it depends what kind of accordian it is, and what shape it is in other than the sticky valve. Might not be worth spending $5 on, or it might be worth spending $2000 on and still come out smelling like a rose.

Reply to
clare

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:ls8chc$lv9$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

You might check with various instrument repair shops around you. They might be able to tell you more about the instrument and if/where to get it repaired.

If you can't find one in the yellow pages or Internet, the local school band teacher should be able to point you in the right direction.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

$1000 seems like a lot, but there are things I have spent more on repairs than they were worth.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, that statement may be the key to your obtaining it, at little cost, i f any.

Is the reason, for it being available, is that the present owner has alread y done some research and found it is of little value (to them) and/or any r equired repairs is not worth their effort? Ask the present owners if they have done that repair search, then maybe use that info to apply your strat egy to obtain it. Do you have an opportunity to inspect it?

Finding a repair shop shouldn't be hard to do, for a pro's inspection & rep air opinions, probably at no charge. Maybe, ask a repairman, first, about what to look for, regarding its condition and possible repair, then use any pertinent info, as ammunition, for when you go inspect and negotiate for y our obtaining it.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The reason that it may be available is the owner died and they are clean her house

Reply to
knuttle

On Monday, August 11, 2014 8:31:52 AM UTC-5, keith

In that case, I'll do an about face. If the survivors are not that interested in it, then maybe the best approach is to simply ask them to consider giving it to you, since it would be of more personal value to you, than may be to them.

Express, with all due respect to the deceased, to a family member you know best, of your desire to have it, and, with good luck, the family may give it to you, in kind regard.

It does you no good, whatsoever, to consider repairs or workability, if you don't have it, in the first place.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny