OT: A couple of articles by Rex Murphy.

I guess we disagree. College students get coddled way too much, which is why way too many are worthless for the first 5 or so years of their employment. They get no sense of what it's like to be employed in the real world and enter it as entitled adolescents who complain when they aren't rewarded for mediocrity, cry when they aren't showered with assurance, and can in no way possibly conceive the fact that taking home office supplies for personal use is in fact, stealing, precisely because of the mindset you employ, that "college is a different world."

Reply to
m II

...and I quote:

"This brings me to Australia, which has a population of wild or feral camels almost one-million strong. Camels are among the most prodigious ?flatulators? on the planet. It is not a good thing, weeping and nearly blind Australians assure us, to be downwind when either one camel or (God save the mark) a whole bunch of them, decide to pass gas."

..weeping and nearly blind Australians....damn that's funny...

====================

That's why they have such a large hole in the zone layer above Oz!

Reply to
Eric

I've always had a problem with "taking office supplies for personal use is stealing". Sometimes it's absent mindedness. First company I worked for they issued us a pocket protector that I filled up with the various objects needed to do my job, including a place for the badge that got me in to work--clearly the pocket protector was intended to go home with me. And its contents went as well. Sometimes at home I'd need to write something and grab a pen or pencil out of the pocket protector, lay it down, and forget to put it back. After a while I'd have a dozen pens or so, which I would take back and stick in my desk at work.

No intent to steal, just the way things go.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Depends on how it's prepared. Never order the moose at the Gouverneur Ste-Foy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The gaminess is what makes venison venison, you fuel! It's to live for!

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Until you have venison from around here, where the deer feed on corn, there is a scale of 'game-ness'. Too gamey is okay in heavily spiced stews and the corn-fed venison is just awesome. Moose, on the other hand, is very tasty but rough in texture... and you get a LOT of meat from an average sized moose. Some of the guys I know will make moose burger with fatty pork mixed in and is best served smoked.

Reply to
Robatoy

This is why I sometimes can't stand this newsgroup. From the context of this thread and what I've written, I'm *obviously* not referring to absentmindedly taking home a pencil.

We all know people who have reams of paper from work in their home office, boxes of pens, etc, or those with work vehicles who drive them all over for personal use.

The fact that many see nothing wrong with the above or that it's somehow "owed" to them by their employer, is part of what's wrong with the world.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A WHOLE pencil? Sharpened on company time?

Reply to
Robatoy

WHAT? You grow bananas -and- corn up in Canuckistan? What'll they think of next, Summer and dry air?

I'd guess there were ten or more pounds on a leetle moose...

Pass.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of the granola-cruncher stores here (Earth Fare) sells bison burgers. They're very lean and otherwise quite like cow.

Reply to
krw

Never said gamey eas bad, did I? I just said Moose is not as gamey as venison - more like beef. Some people like venison better than beef, so they might not like moose.

Reply to
clare

What? Not enough flax and granola innit fur ya? What are ya, some kinda hippie?

Reply to
Robatoy

After my sister took her biology class at ASU in '72, I gave up pork. They took a canned, fully-cooked ham out of a can, brushed on some oil and vinegar dressing, and put it under the microscope. There were lots of little worms coming up through the dressing. Her description of this sold me and I gave up pork along with her. I couldn't give up bacon, but I switched to turkey bacon and it's delish!

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now waitasec...... you are condemning the all of Porkness based on a ONE ...canned...I repeat.. CANNED farking ham? The wormology you so loosely applied, would condemn canning, certainly by that canning company.

Reply to
Robatoy

Jeez Larry, If you put every thing that you eat under the microscope you would probably starve to death.

Reply to
Leon

That's why I leave my microscope at home when eating an El Panchito at Los Gallitos!

Reply to
Swingman

"Leon" wrote

Just cook your meat over a fire. That will convert any kind of critter to digestible protein.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well, that and the fact that an entire section of the population has stricken it from their diet. And the fact that I used to drive through Norco, CA on the way to Las Vegas for COMDEX every year. i had to completely shut off the heater/vents and roll the windows up tight, then hold my breath for 5 miles while the pig farms were in sight and smell. One trip through Norco on I-15 is enough to cure anyone of eating pork. Multiply dairy stench by 50 and get one pig farm's lovely scent.

The one item I did hate giving up was the carnitas taco, though. And turkey bacon is better than real pork bacon. Don't -even- get me started on that crap they call "Canuckistani Bacon", please. It's pork with attitude, fer chrissake.

'Taint Kosher.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nah. Everything I eat is processed. NOTHING can survive past that. ;)

Show me a worm in a Banquet chicken fried beef steak meal, sir. I dare ya!

The risk is a bit (40 times!) lower now than when I started avoiding pork, though.

U.S. showed 400 cases per year then v. 11 now.

I cook all fish thoroughly, too.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU Heathen!!!!!!!

Reply to