ON Topic ;) - Wine Bottle Storage Dimensions

Before 2 buck chuck, was told the true method of buying wine at Trader Joes.

Buy the cheapest bottle in the store.

Go outside, open bottle, and take a swig.

If you throw up, throw bottle in trash, then repeat with next lowest cost bottle.

If you don't throw up, go back inside and buy rest of the case.

Straight fwd binary decision.

When the rest of the country falls into the Atlantic, CA will still be here.

I grew up in Ohio back when you got your liquor at the "State Store".

State got out of the booze business, but don't remember when.

I quit the hard stuff a long time ago.

Where that?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For the money, it is VERY good. It's $2.99 at Trader Joe's here in metro Chicago, no doubt due to the taxation by the People's Republic Of Illinois...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com PGP Key:

Tim Daneliuk

You've got it lucky. I can barely buy decent juice to make my own wine for $2/bottle. The cheapest wine available here is more like $7/bottle and I wouldn't want to drink it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The state flower is actually the Bluebonnet.

Reply to
Scott Zrubek

Juice to make wine now seems to be in the $2.50 to $3.50 range depending on type and source.

My first tip to a supermarket (non-tourist area) in Italy was a surprise. They had a display of wines on one aisle about 30 feet long. Prices started at 1.5 Euro. I figured I was reading things wrong but sure enough, it was that cheap. And pretty good for the price.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My bad. I suppose my memory was blurred by their abundance last time I was in Texas. At least I got the "Blue" part correct.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Makes sense, although I'd be wary of the next day reaction. (Hangover if used in excess...)

Well hell, maybe I'll move there after all.

Didn't even drink until my late 20s, and that was mostly 'cause that's where the single women were. Unfortunately, there was a reason, most times, why they were single. Was talked into it by co-workers. Same with cigarettes. They were dead wrong on both counts.

The Bible Belt. Dixie Mafia land. The Southeast. I'm still in disbelief they allowed the government into the gambling business during my 8 year absence. What a racket.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Arrange the bottles in a rectangular cubby as below: (best viewed with a fixed-space font such as Courier)

O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Width of cubbyhole is obviously three bottle diameters; height is, somewhat less obviously, 4.464 bottle diameters. General formula for 'n' rows is (((n - 1) * sqrt(3) / 2) + 1) diameters. Add a small amount, maybe 1/4", to each dimension for clearance.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Note that spacing in above ascii-art diagram is merely to show the arrangement of the bottles, which are (in my cubbies, at least) touching. In paragraph below, 'width' and 'height' should read 'minimum width' and 'minimum height' respectively.

Reply to
Doug Miller

try a fresh wine store next time you're there. little hole in the wall with all sorts of wine delivered straight from the vineyards in 100 litre carboys. hand them your bag of jugs, go shopping, and come back to pick up your full ones. it tastes very different than bottled wine.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie