Off-center router base

... and since I still have all ten, one-off is not option for me.

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL..or carpet.

Reply to
Robatoy

Jim Weisgram wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and you're ready to go.

Reply to
Larry

Hmm.. Me thinks that would certainly result in the tool being disposed of fairly quickly. It and the 3' section of thread pulls. Not to mention the broken wrist.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Yohoooo!!! A hole-cutter FREEHAND!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Ten routers? Nice. In any case... I would just get the virgin base mounted with the mounting holes however you can do it. Cut a center hole through the center on the base with a 1/4 or 1/2" plunge bit. Remove base (or leave it mounted and use one of you other ten routers in the table). Use a centering bit or 1/4 or 1/2" stock as a guide pin to spin the base (mounted or unmounted) to cut a perfect circle.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Fingers, Mike...fingers. Work with me here...

Reply to
Robatoy

Tryptophan coma.

Reply to
-MIKE-

For those who haven't yet looked at this, it is well worth the look. Very clever -- Gerald, this is something that seems to be marketable.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

somebody post them to the web, already. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I had it made for my own use and liked it so I sent drawings and pictures to Lee Valley. They researched it and found something like it already on the market somewhere.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

There are several. Milescraft makes one version.

Reply to
LDosser

"LDosser" wrote in news:heo9ne$up2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

My Bosch router came with an aluminium one. Now if the router were only bump resistant. This is the second time it won't turn on after dropping on the floor ...

Reply to
Han

The Bosch EVS1617 has flat bottomed holes and pan head screws for adjustments.

Reply to
Leon

It has been. Didn't you see my post on DeWalt router?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I just plunged an actual router bit through the base to cut the hole in my replacement base. Perfectly centered by definition. :)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

How do you know it's the center point. If the base is mounted perfectly centered, the hole you plunge with not be.

Reply to
-MIKE-

For use with guide bushings I don't care if the hole is perfectly centered on the base....I care that the hole is perfectly concentric with the bit. By making the hole with a bit in the router, you get that by definition.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I know the OP had stated that be was trying to center the bushing, but we had taken a tangent, discussing how to get a round base perfectly centered with the bit.

Reply to
-MIKE-

One possibility would be to use a trammel bar of the same radius as the base plate. This gets attached to some bar stock that is chucked up in the collet and threaded internally. When the edge of the trammel bar is aligned with the edge of the base plate all the way around, you're centered.

If you get close when drilling your holes through the base and use pan-head screws, you'll have a bit of wiggle room to get it perfectly aligned.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen