Off-center router base

I have a compass scribe that is already configured in a manner you describe. The point's is held in a round cast section that might be 1/4" diameter, which would chuck-up in the router.

Reply to
-MIKE-

... snip

Would sure like to find it. I looked at the Bosch cone, it's too small for all uses, it appears useful only for centering a bushing.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
routerman

Snip

Do you know a machinist? I turned a wood pattern and showed it to a friend who has a machine shop as a hobby. He quoted me $50-65 to make one from steel. Two or three months later he brought it to me. He was embarassed that it had taken so long and refused any payment. I did give his wife a nice bowl.

I would send you the pattern I turned, but can't seem to lay my hands on it right now.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 07:54:15 -0500, the infamous Gerald Ross scrawled the following:

Um, a real friend wouldn't have quoted you a price like that. It's a happy ten minute job (including smoothing and waxing) and a couple bucks worth of steel.

Y'mean a 1-1/4" diameter rod tapered at 45 degrees down to 1/2", then kept that diameter for 2"? Who needs a plan or a pattern?

If he kept a tit on the cone end, it could double as a toy top!

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll have to hunt one down. I do like the approach.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

To make a base plate to match an existing router, I used a dowel pin in the target router, and a matching-diameter carbide bit in the primary router.

With a raw phenolic plate attached to the target with three flathead screws in countersinked holes (which is self-centering after remounting), I first used the target router to drill a center hole, then chucked the steel dowel in the target and routed the edge of the plate with the primary router, with the dowel as my guide. I did a rough cut with a bit of brass tube over the dowel, then removed that tube and made the finish cut.

Hmmm. If I chucked the dowel in a holesaw's pilot, maybe I could make a stepped hole in the base suitable for router guides?

Reply to
whit3rd