Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

As long as there's a tag on the shelf, I don't see why every item needs marked. I know there are still states with that antiquated law, but bar codes kind of did away with that need.

How many times do we go to a store knowing exactly what we need and how many times do we go in thinking, "there are several ways I can do what I need to do, let me find the cheapest?" If I have to take a salesman (or catalog) around the store with me, I'm outta there.

My smart-phone has revolutionized my shopping experience. I just scan the barcode and it googles the product to show me all the prices on the internet and other local stores.

Reply to
-MIKE-

When I lived in VT, I was very good friends with a GM of a Ford dealership. When I questioned their "documentation fee" he said it was a requirement of the state DMV that it must be the same for every sale. They can do whatever they want with the selling price (e.g. subtract the doc fee) but the doc fee

*had* to be the same for all.
Reply to
krw

My transactions were in IN. I'll look at my paperwork later..it should be easy to find...lol.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

He was at best misleading you, at worse flat out lying, which he may have just been indoctrinated into from working there so long.

Most likely, the DMV had requirements regarding the tax & title fees. It costs $X for a car title, which the state DMV charges, not the dealer. The dealer is simply doing this for you as a service, probably because it makes things easier on their end. So the DMV doesn't want them charging $30 for a title that the consumer can go down to the DMV and get for $10. In other words, the state outlaws the dealer double-dipping or profiting on a state tax.

Titles fees are completely separate from the "doc fees" or "admin fees" that dealers trump up to pad their profit. If the DMV (state law) actually requires dealers to charge the same amount for "admin fees" to every customer, then the dealer has the choice to charge every customer $0 for admin fees.

Reply to
-MIKE-

In my case the "DOC/CRA Fee" --whatever that is, was changed from $150 to N/A. Just for the asking...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

FWIW, When I stopped by my local Woodcraft yesterday to purchase a Rotex 125 they gave me both a general Festool catalog, as well as the latest (2011) Master Price list.

Not sure if the fact that the previous week I bought a Kapex , a CT36 as well as a MFT/3 had anything to do with it.

Next week I'll stop by and get a PSB300 jigsaw (they were on order).

The salesman did tell me that they had a large order coming in this week and that they were going to greatly expand the Festool display area.

That sounds like when I tried to patronize a local insurance agent (State Farm). I went in to get a quote and was presented with a full- page list of personal history that they "needed" to have. I said "really?" and then left. It's almost as if some places don't really want your business at all. Strange.

JP

Reply to
TimDrouillard

Robatoy

TimDrouillard

I'm a barrel-grip guy. I find I'm more accurate with it and it works better for me in awkward (upside-down) situations. I do have both. A german made Milwaukee and a Bosch barrel grip. Neither has any serious dust collection.

Reply to
Robatoy

I thought about going with the barrel grip version, and maybe if they have both when I go back I'll take a look at the barrel version, but for some reason I'm inclined to stay with the D-handle type because that's what I've had for many years..

I'm just a amateur woodworker. I've had a d-handle Bosch for a number of years that I like except for the blade holding mechanism. It's the style that you turn the top handle to change the blade.

I'm a barrel-grip guy. I find I'm more accurate with it and it works better for me in awkward (upside-down) situations. I do have both. A german made Milwaukee and a Bosch barrel grip. Neither has any serious dust collection.

Reply to
TimDrouillard

Nope.

Nothing to do with what the DMV charges.

They could, yes. They'd rather charge it, though. In VT they cannot add it indiscriminately. In for an ounce...

Reply to
krw

Highland Woodworking in Atlanta has the master price list sitting out by the tools. The Woodcraft there, and IIRC the one in Birmingham, have prices marked on stickers on the packaging (systainers, in the case of power tools).

Reply to
krw

That's really my only point. They are blaming it on the DMV, which is BS in so many ways, but not really the point of this discussion. The point is, they are trying to BS the buyer into thinking they have no choice but to charge the doc fee.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 2/26/2011 4:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I'd be _very_ surprised if the law actually refers to a dealer's "admin" fees outside of state-imposed fees as well.

As always, a reference to the applicable State Code section would clear up the confusion... :)

Reply to
dpb

They do. States have all sorts of silly "consumer protection" nonsense.

Go for it.

Reply to
krw

For what it is worth, Festool has all their tool prices posted on their web site. My local Woodcraft has their prices posted also.

Reply to
Leon

Have you used the Festool jig saw? I have no doubt that it is an excellent tool however I was talking to a wood worker that apparently had all the Festool stuff and he was a bit miffed with the jig saw. Apparently it is a bit difficult to see your cut line and the blade. Something to consider.

Reply to
Leon

Strangly enough, Our Rockler seems at least 25 percent cheaper than our Woodcraft. In Houston and we still get the good coupons.

Reply to
Leon

No I have not actually used one yet. All the reviews I've read rate it quite highly. I don't recall any of the reviewers mentioning anything about having a problem with seeing the cut line nor the blade, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. The biggest complaint I've heard it with regards to the price.

Thanks.

Have you used the Festool jig saw? I have no doubt that it is an excellent tool however I was talking to a wood worker that apparently had all the Festool stuff and he was a bit miffed with the jig saw. Apparently it is a bit difficult to see your cut line and the blade. Something to consider.

Reply to
TimDrouillard

Give us a review! ;~)

Reply to