O/T: Web Design

Just curious, any of you web design gurus have any comments about below?

some of their utilities that I have found helpful for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

SonomaProducts.com

Lew Hodgett wrote the following:

It's a good design, but that's not why you wanted me to visit the site, is it?

Reply to
willshak

-------------------------------- As a matter of fact, that kind of input was exactly what I was interested in getting.

Thank you.

Have you used the stuff?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Haven't used them. Won't. Flash sucks rhino.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'd be a little leary about taking web site design advice from an outfit that can't even design its *own* pages properly -- running that URL through the HTML validator at

shows 139 errors and 55 warnings.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hi0je2$2tu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Would that be Timothy's great-grandson, or what?

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

LOL -- obviously I meant leery... Next time, I'll just write "wary" or "cautious" -- I know how to spell those!

Reply to
Doug Miller

---------------------------------------------- Interesting.

Thank you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You're welcome. And for those who may not know it, w3.org is the web site of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which is the body that develops standards for the internet -- IOW, w3.org is *the* authority for what meets standards and what doesn't.

But wait -- there's more: This particular design outfit is using the HTML 4.01 Transitional document type on their pages. The standards for Transitional are a *lot* easier to meet than the standards for Strict, yet they still have nearly 200 errors and warnings. (For comparison purposes,

shows no errors, no warnings, checked against XHTML 1.0 Strict.)

Further still, the site uses the JQuery JavaScript library, which... ummmm... has a few problems. Do a Google Groups search on comp.lang.javascript for "JQuery" if you're curious.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The 'validator' you reference is either way too picky or validating incorrectly.

Microsoft.com

has 395 Errors, 34 warning(s) Adobe, the creator of the web designer favorite, 'Dreamweaver'
has 74 Errors, 54 warning(s)
has 42 Errors, 2 warning(s)

I found it hard to find a website with few errors.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Neither, actually. w3.org is the web site of the international body that sets standards for the Internet; they are *the* authority on what's valid and what's not.

So Microsoft doesn't comply with industry standards. (Gasp!) Imagine my surprise.

Dreamweaver generates bloated HTML; granted, it's not quite as bad as FrontPage, but it's not exactly good HTML. No big surprise there either.

So Google doesn't comply with industry standards either (although they do a better job than Microsoft). Imagine my surprise.

That's because it's hard to find web developers who know (or adhere to) standards. :-) Some succeed, though: ibm.com -- zero sony.com -- zero w3.org -- zero mit.edu -- zero xkcd.com -- zero navy.mil -- zero errors, two warnings, both trivial craigslist.org -- one error, one warning

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use MS Frontpage.

Although the tool referenced reports 45 errors, the site

appears to work well enough for my purposes.

But, thanks for the "checker" as I will use it to clean up some of the errors I introduced when adding non MSFP bits to the site.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Nice try...

Sony.com is their opener which directs to --->

has 352 Errors, 23 warning(s) w3.org is not clean either but better. Try -->
Errors
5 Errors, 31 warning(s) xkcd.com store --->
---> 798 Errors, 29 warning(s)
---->5 Errors, 31 warning(s)
--->21 Errors, 28 warning(s)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

s)

21 Errors, 28 warning(s)

That wrapped funny after posting. Here it is again:

Sony.com is their opener which directs to --->

has 352 Errors, 23 warning(s)

w3.org is not clean either but better. Try -->

Errors

5 Errors, 31 warning(s)

xkcd.com store --->

---> 798 Errors, 29 warning(s)

---->5 Errors, 31 warning(s)

--->21 Errors, 28 warning(s)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:04:25 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi scrawled the following:

Page Affront? Joys!

--== Friends don't let friends use Front Page ==--

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

5 Errors

OTOH, with the exception of w3.org, none of those sites are attempting to advise people on web page design, either... I stand by my original comment, that I'd be suspicious of a web design service that can't get its *own* pages right; there's rather little reason to believe they'd do any better for a customer.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you like Their web site?

Reply to
LDosser

Best business advice I ever got was 'stick to your knitting'. What is their Knitting? If you say 'software development', you got it wrong. Their 'knitting' is marketing and selling a bunch of stuff that never made it to number one or even number ten. Some of it may even be packaged freeware. A company with a very similar name recently lost a class action suit for sending customers "FREE SOFTWARE" that was, in fact, not free. Be wary.

Reply to
LDosser

I can relate.

They bought out some utility software I used several years ago from an outfit in Denver, and moved it.

Somebody updated it and they are selling it under their logo.

I bought the updates and have been happy with them.

Long ago recognized that my days engineering things were best kept in the "funzie" category, I've moved on to other things.

Appreciate the comments.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett