O/T: Snow

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It won't stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I was able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play with my new toy a little.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowskio

I got 12" mine came in handy. Now I get to play with my chain saw. Lots of downed limbs. Pretty much destroyed some nice trees.

Damn Bradford pears are beautiful in the spring, but so weak. Wind, hail... all destroy them... This devastated them. Right down to the main trunk...

Pin Oaks... split like dried stika spruce....

Going to sharpen the chain and wait for the snow to melt. I was like a drenched rat out there yesterday trying to save them. Broke my pruning pole trying to beat the snow off.

Reply to
tiredofspam

tiredofspam wrote in news:HMidnRyhduKp9jDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are still without. NJ07410,

Reply to
Han

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. Hang in there!

-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

Reply to
Robatoy
08867 Here... lots of damage. Schools in Flemington are closed tomorrow because the roads are still clogged. Lucky I have power, if I didn't I have generators... I won't loan them out again...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hurricanes, somewhat. Generally it's more the flooding than the winds. We're away from the shore here a bit. Tornadoes, not generally here, yes to bad windstorms at times. THis storm was an early Nor'eastern, as such not that bad at all, but with almost all trees still fully in leaf, the wet snow loaded them up with too much weight, just like icestorms could/would. After some years rather quiet, the last couple of years are trying to catch up. Back in Holland in the 50's and 60's I remember bad storms, wind, rain, ice (skating on the street is fun!), but power outages not much, at most a few hours. Of course just about everything is underground over there, so it has to be a large transmission line getting hit to stop the power.

Reply to
Han

Well, we don't get the gorgeous weather that Californian's get. But we don't get the real earthquakes, mud slides, or fires either. And it is very green here for 6 months.

But it is humid, this year rainy, and the snow can be the heaviest around. Overall, I like the east coast. It's just been a tough year. Started repairing the damage that I had from Irene.

Just glad my tools are > >

Reply to
tiredofspam

Robatoy wrote in news:82c3bfb4-8cf0-4659-9cb7- snipped-for-privacy@p17g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

Dat's echt vreselijk, Rob! Ik heb medelijden met je!

.
Reply to
Han

tiredofspam wrote in news:gY-dndpfxeMZbzDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Our basement is rather dry, certainly after the sewerline was fixed.

Reply to
Han

Erg, h=E8?

Reply to
Robatoy

tiredofspam wrote in news:FrOdnQXYJuoCbTDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Some schools in our district are closed, others late opening. All because of power problems, not flooding.

Reply to
Han

Robatoy wrote in news:4ebf1608-82e2-4777-a3d2- snipped-for-privacy@gk10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Yep.

Reply to
Han

Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't believe it. It's farther north than Detroit! Brrrrrrr!

-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I say clogged. I meant with down wires and trees.

Reply to
tiredofspam

So are we, old chap. Then there are the volcanos. And I'm sure your elderly neighbors have regaled you with tales of the Columbus Day Storm.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Ah, yes - I was in high school. We were playing a football game against Seattle Prep in the new Bellingham Civic Stadium and led 14-13 when the lights went out. Wish they hadn't come back on as we were going into the wind and had 4th and 5 at the 50. The punt I snapped for was a huge mistake as the kick ended up going the wrong way - we lost 19-14 :-(

Not only that, but I lost my ham radio tower and the Hood Canal floating bridge sank!

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

See, what'd I say!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I think that people who weren't out in it don't realize how bad it was. A friend of mine asked me to check on one of his friends (he doesn't drive anymore). I asked him for her address. He started to draw me a map. I told him "I don't need a map, I need a street name and house number--with that and a GPS I can get there, with your map I can get to a downed power line or a tree across the road".

Later > > tiredofspam wrote in

Reply to
J. Clarke