O/T: SawStop

Seems to me, the saw company could provide the parts Pro-bono one every year. The only downside is getting all classes there at once - but for shop classes - Saturday or before school starts would be easy.

I taught a 2 year, 2 hour program in Electronics. Industrial kind, not Radio/Tv. There was a shop for that. The tricky stuff for me was high voltage, high current and sometimes both. I gave some good demo's that opened eyes and after a couple of 'bites' on lower voltages they knew when to talk girls and when to grit teeth and do the work.

The nice thing, it was over 30 years since I taught in the High School and I get a student every now and then spot me on the net and sends an email. Lots of good men came out and lots of them would not have gotten a GED but managed a real one. I taught math for electronics - as the math classes were later in the year for the subjects - and the first few years the math teachers looked me up. What did you do to xxx

- my SAT kids don't know what he does.

Good plans and good laws. Head shed wants to keep Tort zero so they keep up with the shops. Cool.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Well it has been a long time since I posted this and the sawstops were purchased in or about 2008 or 2009. To my knowledge they have not been activated even once. Certainly they have not been activated enough to use the cartridges that came with the saws as I would have had to approve any POs for replacements. Read into that anything you want about the saws, the kids, the teachers and the program.

Reply to
dhall987

Great. I think the saw is an excellent tool, and has a very good chance of saving more than a finger.

Glad to hear that it is work> >

Reply to
tiredofspam

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab shops. I could false trip that junk bastard in less than an hour.

Reply to
Steve Barker

---------------------------------- Since the insurance industry is driving the installation of the technology, best get on board and embrace it.

It's not going away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab shops. I could false trip that junk bastard in less than an hour. ========================================================================= Another one of these people that think that breaking things makes them a real man.

Reply to
CW

Actually, they are. Our Workman's Comp insurance carrier is advocating their use and has managed to get a few places to switch to them. Talking to the guy that visits our plant, he told me on one instance of a trip where it saved a serious injury.

I'm sure you can make it false trip, but I'm sure if you were serious about its use, you'd also prevent that from happening. I bet you can make your airbags go off too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You would be wrong to doubt that. Google to find comments from commercial shop owners.

Reply to
Leon

With the comment he made it sounds as if he did set his airbag off, the hot air one.

Reply to
Leon

there will never be one in my shop.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:23:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

If it will help you, then *fear* of the insurance companies is driving it. Fear of increased rates from lawsuits. Fear of having all insurance terminated. It doesn't matter how you slice it, when the end result is money, or the very real possibility of losing it because of an injury, then there are only two choices. Comply or go broke/out of business.

Reply to
Dave

Indeed. I know of one local commercial cabinet shop that had over 10 of them the last time I talked to them about 3 years ago. They probably have more by now.

Their employees do repetitive work all day and get careless. According to their equipment maintenance guy, he replaces a SawStop cartridge about once a month. According to him, they've paid for the saws many times in reduced Workmans Comp claims.

OTOH, I agree with those who object to the maker pushing for a law requiring the use of his invention. Maybe we should push for one making the technique public domain in the interest of public safety :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yeah I said that about cordless drills over 9.6 volts. That was a silly thought.

Reply to
Leon

What did he say about cost of damaged blades, hmmm?

If it becomes law, the invention should be sequestered by the gov't. lest the speaking weasel's invention become a monopoly.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:07:40 -0800, Larry Jaques

So? Which is it? You need new glasses or you do it just because you can?

Reply to
Dave

-------------------------------- See Dave's post.

He saved me the trouble.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think the "many times" in the above sentence would cover the comparatively small cost of the blades and cartridges :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------- Try the old saw, "An iron fist in a velvet glove".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:05:29 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

There doesn't have to be noise about it Mike, but I know it's in the back of the minds of every business owner. As it should be if money and/or injuries are of a possible concern.

When Robin Lee was giving me a tour of the new Toronto flagship store a few years ago, part of that tour included the seminar rooms. When I commented on the SawStop in one of the rooms, he commented that he'd be adding SawStops to all his Lee Valley Tool stores.

What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's what insurance is all about ~ protection against something unfortunate.

Reply to
Dave

He didn't

What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's what insurance is all about ~ protection against something unfortunate.

Reply to
m II