O/T: SawStop

Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.

Would appear the lawyers have spoken.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OOPS!

Definitely ON TOPIC.

Lew

----------------------------- Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.

Would appear the lawyers have spoken.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

government stuff, usually via eBay.

-------------------------------- It is 3-phase equipment.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Great. We now have brand new safe saws but we won't let anyone use them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OOPS!

----------------------------- Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.

Would appear the lawyers have spoken. ===========================================

Yep. When they come out with a 12 inch I'll get two for my school. My list says a gotta have 12 inch, and I go with that all the way.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

They are speaking all over the place. Our rural high school has abandoned plans to re-start their wood program. Years ago it was excellent and they still have some pretty good Unisaws and other equipment.

No-go with the boards lawyers. Too much risk without replacing table saws.

End of story; which is especially tragic since we have the Pittsburg State University Wood Technology program 30 miles away, and two top- end cabinet makers here in town. The owners of those shops started cutting wood in this High School years ago.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Yup. 3-ph. I invested in a 3hp rotary converter. You can run multiple machines at the same time as long as you start them at different times. Having this converter has allowed me to get one other great deal because 3 ph equip is harder to sell in the after market so prices can be great.

I got a Ritter edge sander 132" belt for $300 from a cab> "S> > Time to keep an eye on Interschola, the company that liqidates old >

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

abandoned plans to re-start their wood program. Years ago it was excellent and they still have some pretty good Unisaws and other equipment.

No-go with the boards lawyers. Too much risk without replacing table saws.

End of story; which is especially tragic since we have the Pittsburg State University Wood Technology program 30 miles away, and two top- end cabinet makers here in town. The owners of those shops started cutting wood in this High School years ago.

-------------------------------

Just a thought.

I wonder if there is a reduction in liability insurance premium for switching to SawStop, and if so, what is the time involved to recover the SawStop investment?

Any insurance people on board the list?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would think unlikely that a discount for liability would be offered. The TS is only one of the machines in a typical shop that can cause serious injury. A jointer, lathe, and or a shaper are a few that can do as much harm as a TS.

Reply to
Leon

I wonder how many cities and school districts are self-insured.

Reply to
krw

"Leon" wrote

Insurance companies are pushing the use of Saw Stop technology though. I know our Workman's Comp carrier is strongly recommending their customers change over to them. It is just one of many factors in evaluating a company for rates/coverage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm glad you are still able to offer classes. You have such a great program.

Tom Walz Carbide Processors

Reply to
tomwalz

--------------------------------

"tomwalz" wrote:

Carbide Processors

---------------------------------- At this point, it is unknown if fall courses will be offered.

Depends on budget battle in Sacremento.

Yes it is a very good program.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As a school district business manager (in Pennsylvania) I always have to wonder about these stories. I have never had an insurance agent ask about our tablesaws. The paperwork filled out each year as we get insurance quotes from various firms is very extensive, but that item is NOT questioned. We did however not long ago replace our 1950s unisaws with SawStops when we renovated our High School as that seemed the appropriate thing to provide to a bunch of hormone driven, inexperienced kids that we were going to have using tablesaws. Safety is clearly an extremely important consideration in all things having to do with a school shop program.

In Pennsylvania as in many (if not all) states there is the legal concept of Tort Immunities for state government (of which schools really are even if they seem to be local). In PA that essentially means that we are exempt from tort liability unless the liability results from improper care and maintenance of real estate. That means we would be exempt from liability for a kid cutting off their hand on the saw, unless it happened because he tripped on some defect in the floor that should not have existed. Of course judges tend to be extremely liberal (on the plaintiffs side) in deciding what was caused by improper care and maintenance of real estate.

Reply to
dhall987

I wonder how many "tests" (and subsequent repairs) the school board will allow? If I know "kids", and I do, there will be a lot of "tests".

Max

Reply to
Max

You are going to make the kids or their parents pay for testing the saw stop function with a hot dog?

Reply to
phorbin

I would hope so!

Reply to