O/T:Deviled Eggs

This past weekend, attended a pot luck retirement party.

Rather than pick up something at the local deli, decided to make some deviled eggs.

What follows is the recipe I've developed by "borrowing" ideas and components anyplace I could find them.

BTW, must be doing something right, the plate of eggs I took were gone in less than 15 minutes.

Enjoy

Lew

------------------------------ Lew's Deviled Eggs

Recipe Is a Hodge Podge Of Info Stolen From Anyplace I Could Find It.

Ingredients:

12 Eggs, Large, hard boiled and peeled 1/2 Cup, Mayonnaise 3 Tablespoons, Sweet pickle relish 2 Tablespoons, Green onion (Scallions) chopped, plus more for garnish 2 teaspoons, Cumin, ground 2 teaspoons, Dijon mustard 2 teaspoons, White wine vinegar 2 teaspoons, Chives, finely chopped (Or Scallion tops) 6-8 Drops, Tabasco pepper sauce to taste (Coon-Asses will want more) Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Garnishes: (Pick and choose) Green onion (Scallions) chopped, for garnishing Chives, finely chopped (Or Scallion tops), for garnishing Hungarian Paprika, for garnishing Sweet gherkin pickles sliced, for garnishing Pimentos, for garnishing

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Directions:

Halve eggs lengthwise.

Remove yolks and place in a small bowl.

Mash yolks with a fork, stir in mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, green onions, cumin, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, chives, Tabasco sauce, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Fill egg whites evenly with yolk mixture.

Garnish with choices from above.

Store covered in refrigerator for an hour before serving.

TIP:

East way to hard boil eggs.

Place eggs in pot, cover with 2" cold water on stove.

Bring water to a boil, cover, then shut off heat and allow to cool to room temperature..

I do this the night before and let cool over night on stove.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4ddb427e$0$32753 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Copied and saved. My own modification is to grind up some Baco's with a mortar and pestle, and add that to the yolk mixture. "Everything is better with bacon." I also use some tabasco and paprika in addition to background Good Housekeeping deviled eggs. Mine disappear faster than you can say oops, even in the company of folks who consider black pepper an exotic spice ...

Reply to
Han

Must have bacon bits and a touch (tiny) of curry. I would lose the relish as it is the most awful tasting stuff. Finely diced pickle, sure. Saffron works too (instead of curry)

Reply to
Robatoy

I must admit to being a "purist." My receipe for Deviled Eggs (actually my mom's) is very simple with only four ingredients:

Boiled eggs enough tart cider vinegar to make a paste salt and pepper to taste

Since I am now living in the South, I do not take Deviled Eggs to church suppers, but for myself - can't be beat. :-)

Of course you have to like things that will make you pucker. And here in the South there are three main food groups, "grits, grease and greens (cooked in grease) with "sweet tea" to mainline the sugar. :-)

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

What? No horseradish?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:4ddc2e47$0$2157 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Good idea!!

Reply to
Han

======================= Works for me.

So does crumbled bacon pieces.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lemon and Herb spice sprinkled on top at the last moment. Can't be done ahead of time or it can get bitter.

Reply to
Josepi

All of those ingredients sound good...but there really is one essential element you should do, which will elevate your dish. Your palate and your GI system will appreciate it also. This comes from the Julia Child "The Way to Cook" book. I've made boiled eggs this way for over 10 years, and they are always great. The mandatory tool for this job is a push-pin. When you open your egg carton, the top of the egg is where the air pocket is. Push one small hole with the push-pin into that top part. This allows the sulfur compounds in the yolk to escape. Recipe is as follows;

Use a pot that allows for at least 2" of cold water to cover however many eggs you choose to cook. Bring the pot to a boil, and remove heat as soon as the boil starts, and cover. Set your timer for 17 minutes. Not 15, not

  1. 17 minutes. Prepare an ice and water bath that the eggs can go into when removed from the pan. After 17 minutes, remove the eggs and place into the ice bath for
2 minutes.. In the same pot you boiled the eggs in, bring the water back to a boil while the eggs are cooling. When the water boils, return the eggs to the boil for 10-15 seconds. When the eggs are cooled in the ice bath, they shrink slightly in the shell. The 10 second re-boil expands the shells off the eggs. When you peel and slice these eggs they will never have that horrible stinking green ring around the yolk. It's the hole in the shell. Enjoy!

Reply to
Thos

Wasabi is better. Mmmm Mmmm Good!

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

Guess I should credit it as "Stolen from Julia".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett