O/T: BLOG POST OF THE DAY

Just Wondering wrote in news:5037374a$0$5297 $ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

Another disaster that was engineered by the powers in charge (Johnson), just like Bush's Iraq wars. From Wikipedia on the Gulf of Tonkin resolution: The house was unanimous in favor, and "It was opposed in the Senate only by Senators Wayne Morse (D-OR) and Ernest Gruening (D-AK). Senator Gruening objected to "sending our American boys into combat in a war in which we have no business, which is not our war, into which we have been misguidedly drawn, which is steadily being escalated"." And indeed, it was Nixon (tricky Dick) who got us out, and who got us friendly with the Chinese. Two things for which I will always admire him. Now the other stuff ...

Reply to
Han

Tim Daneliuk wrote in news:50378E99.2050706 @tundraware.com:

Agree. The sad thing is that the Gulf of Tonkin type stuff always riles up the masses (right and left) and makes them ready to go to war, declared or not.

Reply to
Han

Depends on the reason for quitting. If you quit for good cause you may be eligible.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Wars are the quintessential "sticking your nose into another's business." My point is that trying to pin that label on the Right and not the Left simply ignores history.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I'm not asking for anything. I'll put it more bluntly. Whether there is a deficit depends on what the budget is. The President does not set the budget. Congress, originating in the House of Representatives, sets the budget. If you like the budget, thank Congress, not the President. If you don't like the budget, blame Congress, not the President.

Reply to
Just Wondering

My point is that Democrats are just as guilty as Republican are at sticking the collective U.S. nose into other nation's affairs, and that to single Repubs alone out for that sort of behavior ignores history.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Just Wondering wrote in news:5037d6ef$0$16823$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

Very, very true ...

Reply to
Han

You complain of my "facts" when, by your own admission, you forget what's what? But, I see where you're going.

You're sorta correct. One of the Republican senators was recalled, giving the Democrats a one-seat majority in the Wisconsin senate.

However the Wisconsin senate is in recess until January, which is after the November elections. We'll have to wait to see whether the governor's legislative backing is, in fact, neutralized. Meanwhile, he is still in charge of the executive branch, and, need I say it, the machinery for the November election.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think we can simplify your list:

  • With sufficient gold, you can obtain wheat.
  • With sufficient firepower, you can obtain gold.
Reply to
HeyBub

Somebody has to be the world's policeman. For over a hundred years it was the British. Now us.

If not us, then there are two choices:

  • International anarchy, the likes of which is exemplified by Sudanese pirates, or
  • Some other country takes on the job.

If the latter, who would you prefer? China? Russia? Iran? Guatamala?

Reply to
HeyBub

We do it because we're here. Just us. No one else, lad. Now face the front and mark your target as he comes.

Reply to
HeyBub

I personally don't have a problem with the idea in general. I was responding to someone who does have a problem with it, and tried to stick it to Republicans alone. Sometimes, though, we as a nation should be just a little more circumspect where we go poking our collective nose.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Ditto the city manager of GP. She got $125k for sitting out the last year, plus medical, etc. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Interesting. I always thought that, too. I guess nothing negative applies to anyone who has been in gov't, no matter how low. Farkin' sucks, wot? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

-- "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I understand. And we ARE pretty circumspect.

The US has military missions in a LOT of countries (145 if memory serves). I'm not counting Marine embassy guards; I'm referring to military assistance, training, coordination, joint maneuvers, and so on. We teach them to use our weapons, our tactics, how to collect and share intelligence, we build base for them (and us).

Point being, we're involved in many things, most we don't hear about.

Reply to
HeyBub

Right. My wife will be quitting the end of next month. There is a good chance she'll be eligible for UI. She was eligible five years ago, and fifteen before that, but she didn't ask for it. She hasn't decided, this time.

Reply to
krw

I would prefer for the Anglosphere to hang together insofar as we have a lot of common culture and interest. If the rest of the world wants us to police their neighborhoods, the least they could do is pay us to do so.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 08:47:32 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

Damn stupid naive statement. Payment comes in many forms. As with any country, the US is motivated by self interest in whatever it does abroad. If it's not getting some advantage by assisting an oil rich country in need, then it's protecting itself from possible future aggressions.

Even if it's only assisting some region of the world because of public outcry, it benefits from not looking bad.

As to your borderline prejudicial, "Anglosphere to hang together" statement, a significant bulk of the US population is not "Anglosphere".

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're an ass Daneliuk. The only reason you're here in this newsgroup is to inflame rhetoric. You don't and never have posted any woodworking content.

What are you doing here?

Reply to
Dave

Lew