Now bandsaw - how to move

Yeah, that's not going to happen. ;-)

A full-sized lathe is next. Probably next year. SWMBO has already been warned. ;-) I'm not contemplating anything big after that. Well, except retirement (end of year, probably). Then I'll have a chance to really play with the toys. :-)

Reply to
krw

buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate out of the garage and down to the basement ?

I built an all-terrain dolly for the move of a 450 lb planer. Picked up 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF

and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4's. An chored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, dbl n utted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

Reply to
bnwelch

That's a really good idea. Add the trailer around to the back of the house and a ramp (already have) and it would be quick work.

Then the problem becomes righting the saw and getting it into the mobile base. I tried to lift the light end. I could get it to my chest but there was no way to reverse my hands to push it upright from a curl.

My plan to get it into the base includes levers and blocks.

Your piece gives me the details I need to do the hard part. I'd thought about moving it on dollies but if one of the small wheels dug into the ground or broke off, I'd be screwed. Thanks!

Reply to
krw

There are always things that need to be moved into, out of, or around the yard.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

te:

of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate ou t of the garage and down to the basement ?

p 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF

and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4' s. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, dbl nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

I have found countless uses for it since the planer move. Used it just yest erday as a matter of fact... Glad to help

Reply to
bnwelch

e:

of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate out of the garage and down to the basement ?

4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF
and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4's. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, db l nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

This might be overkill, but better to consider this now vs. mid-move:

Buy a spare wheel and design the dolly such that you can change a wheel under load i.e. jackable.

While searching for dual-wheel lawn carts, I found that a common complaint in the reviews was flat tires. Since they all use those same style foreign made wheels, you should be prepared for that.

The 13" wheels on my cart did not specify a max psi on the tire itself, but the manual says 25 psi max.

Nothing personal, but don't you have any friends?

Maybe hire a couple of high school football players?

When my brother moved, he hired a couple of guys from the Merchant Marine Academy. He lives on Long Island in NY.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ote:

e of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate o ut of the garage and down to the basement ?

p 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF

and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4' s. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, dbl nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

Point is well made/taken...I would never attempt handling that kind of load without assistance, one little miscue and...

Reply to
bnwelch

I'm not allowed to use my lawn tractor. I gotta get around to selling it.

Reply to
krw

Some have offered but I don't live very close to any and I'd rather others not get hurt. None of us are kids anymore.

I thought of "Two Men and a Truck" and one of the "College Hunks for Hire", or some such. Haven't explored that yet. It's going to cost more to get someone to show up than to do the job. Not that it would be a big deal. I tried Angies List but they were useless.

Reply to
krw

Playing of you comment on your lawn tractor, is your health such that you should even be considering moving the band saw by your health. If you do will you children think it is a good idea?

With hospital cost today, The band saw is not worth a heart attack.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

:

rote:

le of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate out of the garage and down to the basement ?

up 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF

and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4 's. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, dbl nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

Well, you can spend some of the money you'll save on the 10" wheels. The HF flyer that came in the mail today has a coupon: $3.99 instead of $5.99.

What's your address? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nothing like that. I walk ~20mi a day (110-130mi/wk unless life intervenes). I'm pacemaker dependent (heart doesn't beat without it). I can do pretty much anything you'd likely encounter around one's house but weld or ride a lawn tractor. Some gas powered lawn equipment can be a problem but was just told to "be careful" around them. It's the AC magnetic field (alternator, in this case) that's the problem. They're shielded against electric fields but not magnetic.

Bite your tongue! ;-)

A heart attack is unlikely but could strike any of us, at any time. Though I had triple bypass surgery in '14 the problem is electrical, which the pacemaker has all but fixed.

Reply to
krw

I'll have to see if I can find one. Eight bucks is eight bucks.

Great! I'll see you at 1:00PM. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Spalted Walt

On 7/13/2019 8:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

AH! Thanks for the explanation--now that reminded I knew about the implant but had forgotten.

But they let you ride in a car, etc., don't they?

I'd think it not difficult to put some mu metal can material around it that would be no issue with interference.

I knew there was some concern in early pacemakers; thought that had mostly been solved by now other than the direct use of welding equipment, etc., that is pretty good source.

I (we all) should be on such a regimen of the exercise! :)

Reply to
dpb

te:

ote:

ouple of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the cra te out of the garage and down to the basement ?

ed up 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF

and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap

2x4's. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thre ad, dbl nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...

$10, if you take my suggestion and buy a spare. Oh...wait... You can return the spare, so $8 it is. ;-)

Getting gas now. See you soon!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had the combo Pacemaker/ICD implanted last Fall. The first time I tried mowing the lawn I got chest pains and my pulse was pushing 130. Thinking it was the EMI from the 22HP engine behind me on the ZTR mower I was going to build a Faraday cage type shield to see if that would help. I asked the cardiologist, the electrician, not my plumber and was surprised when he told me that more than like it was the motion that did it. He asked if I had a lot of bouncing around with the mower and, truth be told, when I could, I'd do the straightaways at maximum speed.

He told me that my device - maybe yours too - has a sensor in it to automatically increase your heart rate over the set parameters when it senses vibration such as would be induced by rigorous exercise. Try it with less speed and bouncing. I did and the problem pretty much went away. I push it now and then and using a combo pulse oximeter I can see my pulse up to 85% of my calculated maximum and while I might feel a bit of discomfort, it's no worse than when I WAS capable of rigorous exercise.

I asked the plumber when I had my last appointment if two hours on the ZTR with average pulse rate above 115, but below 128 was the equivalent of a good workout. Unfortunately, he said, "Nice try, but no!"

Your mileage may vary but might be worth running it by your electrician. ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

A car's alternator is quite a distance from the driver (inverse square law, and all that). They're also quite well shielded because magnetic leakage makes them less efficient. Lawn mower part come from the cheapest Chinese supplier and who knows what's in there. He wouldn't be concerned if I weren't dependent on the PM.

Possible, I suppose, but it would take quite a lot.

Electric fields are no problem. I wear a bluetooh headset that goes around my neck, with the business end sitting perhaps two inches from it. They warned me about some higher end headsets (w/rare earth magnets) that were strong enough to trip the diagnostic mode (MRI, etc.) reed switch if they were place directly over it.

It's a lot of time that I can't spend doing something fun, like work in the shop. I do watch a lot of Netflix and Prime while on the treadmill though (2.5hrs every day). The more inane the better (which they're really good at). ;-)

Reply to
krw

Sure. I was warned about that too but that's not the problem. I've not had the problem. I'd like mine to be more sensitive but they're quite conservative with the settings.

LOL! Worth a try.

He brought it up during my first appointment after the implant. SWMBO was in the room so it's not a judgment that I can even appeal.

Welding is also a problem but I can't remember if it's AC or DC that's a no-no. There are current limits, too, but my EP just said "no". It's easier to remember and I'm not overly interested in it anyway. The material is too expensive.

Reply to
krw

Right. I'll buy the spare. I was thinking about making it a six-wheeler. The palate it's on has four cross-members (feet) so I figured one axle between each. Let 'em float so I can steer it.

Reply to
krw