Norm Vs. Marks

Timeslots? Bah! Get DirectTV Tivo. You'll never think about timeslots again. I never miss an episode of either show. It also comes in handy being able to skip the commercials and do instant replays when needed. Crystal-clear pausing really helps you get a good idea of the joinery as well.

I don't work for Tivo, but highly recommend it.

Jay

BTW, My take: For the weekend warrior, Marks gives you a good way of looking at things, but Nahm gives you projects you could do in a garage.

Reply to
Jay

Of course, the original miter saw with Laser was PC, not a Delta

John

Reply to
John Crea

I try to get into the spirit of the show that I am watching by using the same techniques. The other day for instance, I was watching Norm and I used the remote exclusively for changing the channel and controlling the volume. Later in the day Roy Underwood came on and I got up and used the buttons on the TV console if I needed to adjust it.

The next day I was watching David Marks, so I got out the auxilliary universal remote and had my kid work it for me.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

how 'bout Norm and Marks = don't they both have something we can gain from??

Reply to
jim wheeler

I asked David in a note about the MultiRouter. He gave me the name of some guys in NC (?) that build them. They said the cost, without any bells and whistles, and without the router, was about $2,400. Yikes.

I like both of these guys, but I'm new and just keep plugging along. I think they both love what they're doing and have fun at it.

Reply to
Guppas!

I see all these messages about Marks, but don't think I've ever seen a show by him. What if any stations is he available on in Canada, specifically covering the Toronto area?

I can get Norm, but not Marks.

Reply to
Upscale

On 28 Jan 2004 07:16:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comslamspam (LtNtHacker) brought forth from the murky depths:

I think his program was yanked from HGTV altogether. Maybe DIY got full "dibs" on it.

I can see the LN, but not Laguna. He has two perfectly good bandsaurs now.

Speaking of David J. Marks, he's going to be in LoCal at the Ontario WW show this coming weekend for you lucky suckahs who live in the area. Make sure to stop by Yeung Chan's area and watch that guy work. The man -knows- one-sided shavings from a finely tuned Japanese plane. They're getting $40 a pop for the lectures, including Marks' "Furniture: From Concept to Finish."

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There was an episode of This Old House where they went back to the shop to make a door and they were making jokes about all the power tools he was using there too. We all know that the tools on Norm's show are on 'loan' from the companies that sponsor the show, unlike David Marks' show where he owns them all and has no financial link to any of the manufacturers.

I do enjoy both shows, but as time has gone on, I've found less interest in tool-centric Norm and his weekend warrior projects and more in the David Marks style show where you learn craftsmanship rather than shooting brads like they're going out of style. Certainly there is room for both shows and both hosts are good people, certainly better than the wood butchery of another Min-Wax Mastermind I could name.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Or Dish Network PVR. Same functionality.

Me too. I don't think I can live without being able to pause TV anymore.

Reply to
Bruce

You're kidding, right? I mean, get up, go in the other room, do whatever, go out in the shop, come back, it's either on or not on. It's TV. Who cares?

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Watching the show from the beginning it was clear that the early Elu, Craftsman, Makita, Bostich, and other tools were certainly not new, suggesting ownership by either Norm or Russell Morash.

Over the years there have been several other tools that appear to have that same genesis, e.g. the Rockwell jointer and the Powermatic planer, just to name a couple. Even the original Unisaw was an old Rockwell. I think Delta's acquisition of Rockwell predated the first NYW, so where did it come from? I'm not saying they're all owned by the show, but they certainly aren't all "loaners."

So does tools-on-loan somehow diminish the value of Norm's product? It's not like it's a RotoZip informercial. Just off the top of my head, I don't think I've ever heard Norm call a tool by its brand name. That contrasts sharply with Boob Vila constantly inserting the manufacturer's name of every tool (and product) that's being used on his show.

Geez if you watch a typical 24 minute episode of NYW and all you come away with is the few seconds of brad nailer use, you're missing a whole lot of craftsmanship and other good ideas.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

It was a bit of hyperbole, yes. I assure you that I watch MUCH less TV than the average American. Part of the neat benefit of PVR is that I can record something, like Norm or David and watch it at my leisure and not watch a single commmercial. Yes, you've been able to do that for years with VCRs but I never did because the ease of use wasn't there.

And when I'm watching college football, I need to see everything! I often pause the program at the beginning of the game and then work in the shop for 20 mins or so. Then I can come in and watch it, skipping all the commercials. Work during halftime and do it again. A 4 hour football game is compressed to about 1:30 of actual ass time in the couch.

I heard so many people are doing this now, that is why the advertisers are using product placement in programs.

Reply to
Bruce

A new guy came to my woodworking club this month with a "multirouter" that he made out of Baltic Birch. It looked like a lot of work but he probably had less than $100 in materials in it...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Marks was on HGTV, but now is ONLY (as far as I know) on the DIY network

Saw 4 or 5 episodes on HGTV, and considered him worth watching, but now I cannot get him at all as both local cable companies do NOT carry DIY - at least not yet

John

Reply to
John Crea

I agree, I've learned a ton of things from Norm. In fact, I wasn't really into woodworking prior because all I really knew were but joints and screws. I'm not saying that I'm a craftsman now . . but I'm allot further ahead than I was before watching him do all of the basic things several times.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

David Marks kicks Norm's ass any day of the week. If the two of them were to compete in a contest of making a specific type of furniture Mark's version would have cleaner lines and a better finish. Plus Marks uses better woods...I wish I could afford Purpleheart, Black Walnut, Cherry, African exotics!!!

Reply to
Basspro*

DIY is available on satellite, DirecTV or Dishnetwork.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:51:18 +0000, LRod brought forth from the murky depths:

It's the combo of

1) excess glue smeared onto the wood with a wet rag, 2) beaucoup brads, and 3) poly slathered on top of that

which gets to me.

I recently finished his "Measure Twice, Cut Once" book and was astounded that the entire book was devoted to tailless tools. Amazing. Norm's a good guy despite his few ugly habits.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Norm is sort of like the Mr. Rogers of Woodworking. How could not like him? I saw David Marks only once on the DIY promos on HGTV and he seemed OK, but a bit impressed with himself if I remember. I was less than impressed with the other DIY promos I've seen and certainly wouldn't request DIY from my cable provider. The DIY quality of shows seem less than the "Other Marks" (Jodie, the "shop bunny" with Pat Simpson on HGTV)and at least she's cuter than David ;)

Reply to
Jerry McCaffrey

Two different people for two different audiences.

Let me know the next time you see Marks swinging a hammer on a construction site.

Reply to
Mark