Norm "joke"

Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:

" A-1 Construction/Design

When Norm can't make it"

Wondering how many would get this?

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

LOL.. That might be a wasted slogan. If you get it, you may be able to do it yourself. If you don't get it, it probably would be of no appreciated value.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
marc rosen

I'd guess a good bit of the population that's in to home improvement type stuff would get it. But either way, a lot of people WOULDN'T get it - I wonder if people would assume "Norm" stood for "normal", and assume this contractor is saying he's just a cut above average? It's a stretch... I once had a college professor who said he included jokes in his lectures primarily to entertain himself, but if we wanted to laugh, that'd be fine. It seems like this is the same situation - this guy has to know that many people won't "get" his ad, but he's just doing it for fun. I like it! Andy

Reply to
Andy

When Norm doesn't have the skills When Norm doesn't have the time

Cute double entendre.

Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good afternoon, everybody!"

Reply to
Robatoy

I hear "before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety" and wonder if he just doesn't care if you eviscerate yourself with a draw knife.

Reply to
alexy

OK, I think about the available measured "drawERings" for that chest of Draws.

Reply to
Leon

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

Reply to
Swingman

That's Roger, not Norm.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant the tarp.

Reply to
LRod

A rose by any other name ... or is that lemons?

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, IIRC he was in Dallas talking to a Texan. We don't understand Boston Yankee very well. We like to pronounce all our letters and add a few extras.

Reply to
Leon

Having lived in South Texas and Spanish being the second language, there comes the South Texas slant on word pronunciation. Many years ago while still working in the automotive business a Hispanic mechanic came to me and requested a set of Brake Shoes for the vehicle that he was working on. Naturally there was 2 drum sizes to choose from, 11 or 12 inch IIRC. I asked which shoe size he needed and of course he did not know.

He exclaimed, I done no wish size choose to shoes?

Reply to
Leon

That's exactly the instance I was referring to. I'm sure Norm also has a "funny" way of saying "tarp" (you can check it in the NYW "Sandbox"" episode) but it's not quite as Bostonian as Roger's.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Good friend from Rhode Island moves to Mississippi, goes into Sears looking for some parts to repair his chain link fence. Kept asking the sales person where he could get some "pots". She kept sending him to housewares.

He lives in Katy now, and I'm sure he is confusing you Texans on a daily basis.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher