no more Jet for me

I heard laguna resharpen these blades and the blades are not cheap but they do things that cannot be done with other bandsaw/blade combos

worthless as a conventional veneer but useful for other things

but I'd still never heard of them, wish i had though

Ok but the designs are still significant and standout

regarding rikon I don't know them either but giving a quick look it looks just like all the other players where as the laguna bandsaws really standout, the ceramic guides as you pointed out, etc.

I was amazed what the guy was doing with a bandsaw, I think it was a video for the fence system but still was something I didn't know could be done with a bandsaw

Reply to
Electric Comet

The Resaw King is a b-metal blade, although not carbide. The blade is indeed expensive and but can be resharpened by Laguna. I only use mine on special occasions when I want maximum yield on veneers. I can't say if there is another blade or not that cuts as well as the Resaw King

A pretty much direct competitor to Laguna is MiniMax. I considered that saw also but had issues with the home office/showroom floor when I made an appointment to see a particular saw and traveled 180 miles to do so. The day before the appointment they had the saw, the next day when I arrived they had a cannibalized model.

They do from the Laguna Exclusive guides and perhaps the Baldor motors but they do resemble a few other Italian made BS's that all come from the same factory. But yes it was the specific differences that sold me.

Yeah! the MiniMax that I mentioned above is every bit as robust as the Italian Lagunas. When I visited the showroom the rep was building a nice piece of furniture and only using a band saw to make all of the cuts. He also indicated that a good BS needs no guides... He demoed cutting several pieces of scrap with the guides removed. This fact is one of the reasons I went the extra mile in expense to get a good HD BS. If you don't need guides you know that the saw is sound enough to hold its settings and not have to be tweaked regularly.

Reply to
Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mcohqo$knm$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Wouldn't say I have more than a passing understanding. Back in the day, our mechanical engineers used to come up with these massively strong, inordinately heavy steel brackets, and I picked up some of the issues with plastic argueing with them why we couldn't have an alternative. Biggest reason in our case was volume - for small qtys it's cheaper to form steel.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, standard bed on a full-size pickup is 6'6". The double door models have a bed of 5'6". 8' is long bed, you can get that with extended cab, but if you want it with the full double doors you have to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton model.

The big problem with a long bed is the truck ends up with a huge turning circle - 53' for mine (I hate to think what it is for a crew cab F250). That makes things like parking and u-turns (need 4 lanes of road) a pain.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

FWIW here are a couple of pictures of a piece of red oak that I resawed with a common 1/2" blade on the Laguna.

Leon

On 02/26/2015 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

There isn't any "standard"; they're all options at build time. Certainly any more w/ the extended and quad cabs you see far fewer full-length than shorter because the wheel bases are so long, particularly for the full 4-door.

Even out here in farm and oil country I'd guess 75% of even 2DR are shortbeds because 80% are "townies", not really ever used as trucks.

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:mcqo2l$b7h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Around here you see a lot of the 4 door, extra-short bed trucks because people use them to pull boats. An SUV would be more practical, but the pickups are cheaper.

OTOH, you also see a lot of dualies with aftermarket wheels, lift kits, bed covers, and no trailer hitch, and you know those are just d*ck size compensation. Purely for show.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Speaking of Jet, their 15% off sale starts today (see Woodcraft, et. al.).

Anything you've been waiting for?

The 12" disc sander with stand and dust collector is tempting to me... ($475 instead of $559).

Is there a better way to "round-off" the ends of two by fours?

Reply to
Bill

No, I NEED that After all, I pick up a few potted plants for the wife and a bag of fertilizer for the lawn.

I have to laugh at some of the owners. Do they ever wonder how Europe got built using those small trucks?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My long bed Duramax regular cab (no duallie cause it wouldn't fit in the gar^H^H^Hshop) is ideal for towing our 5th wheel. We spend about 4 months a year for the last 8 years seeing our beautiful country. The long bed has a lot of advantages when towing a 5th wheel as well as hauling sheet goods and lumber.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:54f10d0a$0$4493 $b1db1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Yeah, good point. The extra wheelbase helps pulling any kind of a trailer, because it adds more resistance to the trailer pushing the truck around.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

Hand plane!

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Though there could be a fifth wheel hitch under the bed cover... rather than a receiver hitch. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

they have a limit on the number of resharpens but it's 10 or so and that would last a long time unless the blade's abused and needed more sharpenings

but that alone can't have swayed you entirely

have not heard of minimax either will have to look

I see, can italian made BSs be bought in US?

makes sense but it also means a lot of engineering has to go into the wheels and axles, hence the higher price but that's ok

i do like to learn about what's out there and the state of the art but I will make do with what i have and i enjoy improvising improvising provides some challenges and sometimes leads to accidental insights that I'd have missed otherwise

Reply to
Electric Comet

stock up on spare parts for it too

Reply to
Electric Comet

Big difference between a 5th wheel and a trailer. Never had the 5th wheel doing any of the "pushing around" thing.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

...and no need to worry about tearing up the cab with the long box when making a sharp turn and no need for a sliding hitch.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:VZWdnTUgKfDikWzJnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh I know! *raises hand excitedly and jumps* I know! I know!

They used under-powered Kias* to pull caravans to and from the jobsite!

*Caravaner club's towcar of the year

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That for the really big jobs. One day we were sitting outside having a cappuchino and watched two guys unloading material from a small truck onto a dolly and pushing it a half block down a narrow street. I imagine most of the building was delivered on a dolly or back of a donkey.

We rented an apartment in a villa built in the 1500's. Even today, you'd have a hard time getting anything larger than a full sized pickup up the road on the side of the hill. I cannot imagine how they got materials to the site back then. Lots of stone, big timbers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're right, of course. I was thinking about the frame I use for 12' lumber (etc.). It hangs off the *tailgate* four feet, so the bed is

6-1/2' with 18" for the tailgate. Of course sheet goods fit in the bed nicely (with the tailgate down ;-).

It's been so long since I carried anything in it that I forgot. ;-) ...couple of more months...

Yes, a standard bed with a full size truck is bad enough. Another

1-1/2 feet would make it unmanageable. It wouldn't fit in my garage, either. ;-)
Reply to
krw