newbie power carving dust questions

On 29 Jul 2004 01:37:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (kt) calmly ranted:

How about the $89 Harbor Freight 1hp dust collector, a $20

0.3 micron felt bag from Grizzly, + adapters to mate 'em?

That's about 1/3 the price of the Triton mask or 1/2 the Jet. And it can be adapted to catch the dust at creation with a set of 1/8" thick masonite panels

,
, and your local hardware store all (should) have resuscitators for $20-30. I get the organic vapor filters to cover dust and solvents/finishes.

Here ya go, Kay. Top(?) quality for bottom dollar, just in case you're a fellow bottom-feeder.

Buy or recycle one swimmer's snorkel tube.

Buy a box of round HEPA filters (for resuscitators.)

Cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the screw end with an ID the size of the snorkel tube OD. Duct tape a filter to it and Voilà: a comfy resuscitator which won't be interfered with by your full beard. (Oops, maybe you don't have one of those, Kay.)

And you now have a spare filter for it.

Alternatively, find a PVC pipe reducer adapter which would take the screw end of the filter and adapt the other end to the OD of the snorkel tube. Instant breather. Just don't breathe through your nose while using it. No plugs necessary. Then again, regular resuscitator masks aren't all that uncomfortable.

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

Larry, You just got me my new router (a refurbished Bosch 1613AEVS)!!! I promised myself I would put my health first so I put the Bosch on the back burner. Now I can do both. Thanks very much!!! Any opinions on the Bosch 1613AEVS are welcome. It'll be used mostly for marquetry type inlay designs. Kay

Reply to
kt