New Yankee Workshop Season

What do you think about the projects that Norm's lined up for this season? I like the various projects towards the end and the clock, but the gilt mirror wasn't my cup of tea. So glad he's back tho!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Won't do us here any good, our local PBS is too busy raising money. All channels here who once carried NYW have slowly stopped offering it. When we did/do see an episode it was far from current schedule.

Reply to
Swampbug

We don't see it at all on CPTV.

They sure carry lots of UCONN women's basketball, though.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sounds like SoCal.

The L/A station stopped carrying NYW 2-3 years ago.

The Orange County station has been in continuous begging mode for the last month.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

CraPpyTV has got to be one of the worst PBS stations. I'm glad to be rid of them and in a market where the PBS station programs for the demographics of the market, not the demographics of their internal political clique.

Reply to
Pete C.

For a while, I had a different PBS feed via DirecTV, getting the Boston (WGBH??) station. Once we really got "local programming" CPTV bumped off Boston.

I freaking hate basketball, no matter what gender is on the court. How do you get excited when each team scores 50 times?

Reply to
B A R R Y

That's what is so great about America. You can dislike something and then have the freedom to waste bandwith griping about it to other people who could give a flip about your opinions.....

Oh, by the way, I LOVE basketball, but only NCAA brand, could care less about the professional brand.

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

Yea, baby!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Since you brought it up...

Do you really think NCAA Division 1 men's basketball, or football, for that matter, is not professional? It's a minor league for two sports that don't have real farm systems.

At least in baseball and hockey, someone who is very talented in the sport, but not university material, can develop their skills toward a professional, major league career without some sort of fake academic program. The super talented players often don't bother to graduate anyway, as they go pro before they're seniors.

Reply to
B A R R Y

That is the end result for only about 5% of the players who have the potential to move to the next level. The rest of the kids are getting free educations because of their athletic abilities. Most of those kids have invested a considerable amount of their time and energy to get to the level of ability that they have.

What percentage of baseball and hockey players did not go to college? I don't understand the term "fake academic program". The universities set the requirements, the student satisfies them, they get their "degree". The relative "worth" of that degree will be determined by the job market in the real world. Those kids still have to create a resume and interview for jobs. They have to get those jobs on their own merrits. If they can't cut it, then they are the ones that suffer. "Inferior, unqualified" graduates dilute the potentcy of a diploma from a given school? If that is the case, then I will make sure my kids don't go to school there.

I got 2 boys, one just graduated from the U of Tennessee Knoxville. He got his job based on his GPA and course of study, the fact that they don't graduate very many football players, and a lot go to the pros did not factor into his getting a job at the corp. office of the biggest retailer in the world.

If opportunity knocks on your door, are you going to refuse to answer it until you get a diploma??? If it were me, I'd put a couple of million in the bank now, cause I can always go back later and get that degree. I could even pay for it myself at that point, and not be a burden on the system. But here at my local university, they have a standing policy, after you exhaust your eligibilty, you can still work toward your degree for free, even 20 years later. There is no reason not to get that degree, period.

Reply to
Mapdude

I totally agree. For the kids who can and will do the work, I think athletic scholarships are fantastic.

I don't know the percentages for baseball, but the last number I saw for the NHL was 19% had gone to college. The rest came up through the minors and from European pro leagues. With the high percentage of Dominican players, I'd guess Major League Baseball is similar.

What I'm saying is that a kid who is a fantastic player, but not necessarily a student, has a path to a professional career that doesn't exist in basketball and football.

Fantastic players who are stupid (not college material) get pushed, spoon-fed, and coddled through school. That's what I mean by "fake" academic program.

This article states NCAA Division 1 men's basketball has the worst graduation rate of any sport, 59%:

NCAA Division 1 basketball and football has become such a huge money draw, academic and disciplinary rules get bent under financial pressures. Don't believe me? Compare some of the crap that goes on in Men's Division 1 schools to the NCAA lower levels and the Ivy League.

Do you think the leader of the UCONN hockey or cycling team would get the same treatment as the UCONN men's basketball player who was convicted (not accused, please note the difference) of stealing and fencing laptops?

How about the UCONN basketball player who was employed by a car dealer as a "porter / detailer" (a $7-$9 / hr. job comparable to a hotel maid), complete with a new, company-provided SUV? The other folks working in the dealership, including the guy who was supposed to be his BOSS, couldn't identify him in a picture, because he'd never been there! They didn't have company cars, either.

My wife went to Clemson, the same crap went on there with the football team.

_Some_ of those kids, not your son, belong in a minor league, not a university.

Absolutely!! Because he was capable of doing and willing to do the school work!

Mike Richter, the retired Stanley Cup and Olympic silver medallist New York Ranger goaltender is currently attending Yale Law school. Ted Donato, a retired Bruins and Rangers star graduated from Harvard. Retired NBA player Kevin Johnson created a foundation to improve inner city schools. KJ was talented enough to be offered professional basketball and baseball contracts. Brains and athletic talent can certainly co-exist.

A great, but really dumb, quarterback gets spoon fed college. Your kid earned his degree, and had the brains to understand the value and make the most of it. The super talented slabs of beef and your kid have only a uniform in common. I'll bet if Bill Gates handed your kid tuition, he would have done well without playing ball. Guys like him are not what I'm talking about.

I work with a guy who played (and started) on a famous Boston College Rose Bowl team with Bill Romanowski and Doug Flutie. He's got the photos, ESPN team reunion footage, and the ring to back it up. He's not a dumb-ass, but he's got all kinds of stories of teammates that would have been better served in a minor league and really had no business in college.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I know I wasn't impressed with the guilded mirror. I was so unimpressed that I just turned it off and went out into the shop and puttered around a bit. I haven't checked out the other projects yet.

Make more sawdust,

Woodworkerdan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1167890440.158552.87270 @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Dan

Frank Ryan, quarterback for the Cleveland Browns held a PhD in Mathematics from CWRU. Bernie Kosar was eligible for the draft because he graduated after three years from the University of Miami.

Jim Brown had a degree in Marketing from Syracuse University and for his first eight years in the NFL made more money in his off-season job for Pepsi Cola than he did playing ball.

Reply to
fredfighter

Sounds like a Browns fan of old.

BTW, had Case & Reserve merged by '64?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Case and Reserve "federated" in '66/'67, if I recall correctly, and merged 2-3 years later.

Jim Artherholt CIT '65 ;-)

Reply to
Jim Artherholt

Oops, right. I believe Ryan's degree was from Western Reserve.

Reply to
fredfighter