New woodshop member assist with table saw

Hi everyone,

I'm a neophyte when it comes to using powertools (beyond a drill) and excited to be a part of this group! Was wondering if someone might be able to assist with:

(1) learning how to use the table saw (have a large long shelf to cut down to size) (2) learn to use a miter saw to build a shelf system (essentially cutting 2x4s or smaller) (3) is there a pocket hole jig to use/borrow?

Want to make sure I know the basic ins and outs of the equipment we have and being safe using it. Happy to split projects up if someone has time to show one and not the other. Usually weekends are best as am working a few nights during the workweek. Thank you!

Jessica

Reply to
Jessica

Welcome!

BUT be advised that you are asking for a lot. I suggest you go to a local power tool supply store like Rockler and or Woodcraft to take classes on safety and how to handle these tools.

Maybe Youtube but beware that many are newbies themselves and are also clueless. There is a lot of bad advice.

You are asking for hours of explanations for each of the tools you have mentioned.

Reply to
Leon

Caution: I think you may be underestimating what you are up against with the table saw. Kelly Mehler's, "The Table Saw Book" is very good. It sounds like you will especially want to learn about "kickback" and a "sled" for cross-cutiing a long shelf. If you want to get on with it, let someone else cut it--or you could use a hand saw (powered or not) for the cross cut. Good luck with your project(s)! Safety first! : )

Happy to split projects up if someone has time to show one and not the other. Usually weekends are best as am working a few nights during the workweek. Thank you!

Reply to
Bill

There is a lot to learn, and a table saw can really hurt you, so as you say the safety lectures are essential.

Ripping a long board is a classic example, in particular if the board is far too long to be supported by the table alone.

I've had very good experiences with woodworking books published by The Taunton Press. Rockler stores usually have a bunch on display for sale, so one can browse.

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Jessica snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Welcome!

Safety is the result of getting into good habits and staying there. We probably can't teach you all you need to know from Usenet alone, but can offer some tips along the way.

One thing I do after shutting off the table saw is just to stand there. My hands don't move, I'm in a mostly safe location. Once the blade stops spinning, then I move. It's so easy to accidentally reach or knock something over, it's best to just pause and wait.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Your last paragraph has me curious. It sounds like you already have a bunch of equipment. Could you tell us what make and model of table saw and miter saw you have ? Any other large woodworking tools? Did you buy the equipment, inherited it, etc.?

You mention “weekends” and “evenings”. Are you asking for personal, on-site help? I assume that you know that you posted on usenet and that members of this group may live anyway on planet earth. If you are looking for personal training, I suggest that you limit your search radius just a bit. ;-)

Try your library, community center, adult learning offerings, etc. Please be safe, not just with your tools but with how you obtain help. Posting in an on-line news group, forum, etc. and asking strangers to meet with you personally is fraught with peril. Take precautions.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ditto - about being careful in soliciting help from absolute strangers - for a variety of reasons. Many communities have " seniors centres " for crafts and such - I know of 2 fully equiped ones - with wood-shops and more within a 30 minute drive of me. If you aren't yet a senior it might still be a source for the help you need. John T.

Reply to
hubops

For what you are doing, you might do a comparison between a table saw and a good track saw. If I had one tool to build a system of shelves, I would probably want a track saw because it breaks even large plywood sheets easily, safely, and accurately.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Michael