Need Input On A Proposed Project

I've been wanting to make a steamboat from some time now, a sidewheeler. But, figure I would pretty much have to make my own trailer, or customize an existing one. Then there's the problem of getting it on and off the trailer. Then ran across this site. Something along those lines look like it would solve several problems nicely.

But, seeing as scientists have been trying to solve that same problem with a viable solution for years, didn't really know how I could come up with something that would work. Until I ran across this site. I think this would solve my problem nicely.

Whatcha think?

JOAT Failure is ALWAYS an option.

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

Well JT, My suggestion is you forget the steam power and incorporate the turbo charged small block that was for the Luv truck (that is if you found another turbo unit) and make a double side wheeler. Then fabricate a long narrow *tilting* trailer that you could drive the thing onto. I guess the trailer would need a pretty high lift kit, and maybe some 44" super swampers to keep the side wheels from dragging the ground when transporting. The double side wheels could make the thing operate like a bob cat (skid steer - one full reverse, one full forward to turn the thing), and you could get a narrowed Ford 9" rear end to mount the side wheels to (maybe the first pro stock steamer?) Don't forget to put the *chrome* headers on upside down, like the ones I see on all the race boats out on the lake, that'd just be way cool on a steam boat! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Sun, May 29, 2005, 12:29am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (Dave=A0Jackson) came up with: Well JT, My suggestion is you forget the steam power and incorporate the turbo charged small block that was for the Luv truck (that is if you found another turbo unit) and make a double side wheeler.

Hmm, been sniffing that funny sawdust again, eh? Not being powered by steam pretty well makes it not a steam boat, doesn't it. The turbos were/are not scheduled for the Luv - and I'm still looking for another. If I just wanted a strict side wheeler that could travel on land, I'd just make an Alligator, and be done with it. Probably could just use grasshopper poles, but those sound suspiciously like a lot of work to use. The thought of a side wheel steam boat actually being able to walk has a certain appeal.

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it.

Reply to
J T

Trailering is really not all that much of a problem.

paddlewheels do not go all that far below the waterline.

With a conventional 'Deep V' hull shape, I can't see why you'd need any trailer mods.

On and off would be just like with any other craft. back the trailer down the ramp till she's roughly afloat, and push. Or winch in.

Now, if you're trying to build a replica of a historical 'flat bottom barge' type, then the need for non-standard trailer capabilities does arise. But, even then, on/off is no more of an issue than with standard trailer designs. you have supports that allow front/back motion *only*, and something to snub it up against, so it doesn't move when you don't want it to.

The issues _are_ relatively minor. go for it!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Mon, May 30, 2005, 1:22pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert=A0Bonomi) Trailering is really not all that much of a problem.

I'm not worrying about the trailering aspect. But, I think it would be very satisfying to have a boat that would be a bit out of the ordinary (i.e., a steamboat), that would then be able to walk off of the trailer, walk to the water, and walk in, thereby launching itself. Then when the boating day is done, it would walk "out" of the water, to the trailer, then on the trailer, all on its own. Just think of the labor that would save. This could revolutionize boating as we know it.

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Life is basically good.

Reply to
J T

Tue, May 31, 2005, 6:29pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com (John=A0McCoy) spoked: Hum. I think you've just re-invented the Oruktor Amphibolos (*). That wasn't exactly a success for Oliver Evans, it's not likely to be much more of a success now. (* I figure you can Google for it :-)

Nah, I already know what that is, and if I just wanted to wimp out and have something with wheels I'd make one of those amphibious thingies, or put floatation on a Jeep, or some honking big tires on one, so it'd float. I want a boat, something vaguely along these lines, except powered by a small steam engine, or two.

And then, fitted with feet, something along these lines.
Wouldn'= t need to be fast, just able to move on it's own power, on and off the trailer, and to launch, and unlaunch itself. That way I could use a flatbed trailer, and store the boat somewhere, while I used the trailer for other duties. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.