Need help with repair to maple:

Hello group. I have an old octagonal heavy maple dining room table it has an center pedestal. It was in storage while we were in process of moving and it developed an crack clear across the center . What would be the best way to repair this? Any help would be appreciated.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Well, if you just wanted to glue it back together you will surely still see where the crack was. Anyway, if that's what you wanted to do, you could put some clinchers on the underside. They type they use for joining counter tops. You either rout into the top or add blocks with routs for the connector.

other option would be to cut out the crack and laminate in a contrasting strip of wood. It would be better if the cutout could be somehow symetrical but even an oblique strip might not look bad.

Third option, firewood.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I'd have to see the crack to make a recommendation. For some, I'd rip down the middle of the crack, glue, clamp, and refinish. You may be able to fill in the crack. From your description I can't tell if the crack is in the pedestal or table top.

Reply to
Phisherman