Need Creative Idea for built in table saw

I'm not new to woodworking but now have the space to actually by my own table saw and keep it at my house. I have a 3 car garage but like to have as much space as possible for cars etc. I could by a little small portable model but I like the far extended tables on all ends. I have to have some overkill "new yankee workshop" model. That is just how I am. I just wish there was a way to have all this and have it fold into a wall or something.

There has to be one of you guys that has a creative Idea here. I have a few but just would like to hear someone elses ideas. I get a little too elaborate on some of them. I dont care how hard it would be to make though.

Anyway If anyone has any idea on what kind of saws NOT to get, any ideas on storage or a website that you know of. That would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RL

Reply to
R. Lawrence

On Fri 02 Jan 2004 08:03:44p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (R. Lawrence) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well it doesn't exactly fold into the wall but it's about time this thing got mentioned again, I guess.

google the wreck on "little shop" for hours of reading fun. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I like the basic ideas behind the roll out concept, but make sure you have a level floor. Unfortunately I don't, in the converted garage I use as a shop. Besides with my bulk leaning against anything that isn't fastened to the floor it's probably gonna move. So what I did was take some old cabinets from a house I rehabbed and made one group of the base cabinets into a workbench with a sunken miter station in the middle, the other base cabinets which were a sinkbase and a drawer base I put together, built my TS into the sink base, then added liftable wings on the side and at the back of the table saw cabinet. When I need the extra support/work area I lift one or both of the wings. They have a hardwood 1" dowels that swing out from the underside and fit into a bracket on the wall of the cabinet. This way I can lift and lock the wing with one hand, and when not needed I lift the wing slightly and the support rod disengages from the support and drops down with the wing.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Do you have any dedicated space in there at all? Or do you have to get 3 cars in? I have a 3 car size building with one double-door. I get two cars in it and have the remaining space as "all mine". Sure, I'll never have enough space just like everyone else. But this arrangement does provide enough space have a table saw with 52" fence in the permanent part of the space. I've located dust collector and air compressor along the front edge of the "car space". Now I don't have a Suburban or big truck to fit in and that helps. I also have a drill press in the corner of the permanent space. I'm working on fixed work bench. I also plan to put a router in the extension table of the saw.

That sums up the non-moving parts of the shop. The rest is, or will be on wheels in the permanent part and moved out as necessary. I frequently move both cars out and spill out to the open space with saw horses and portable benches. The rule is "The Lexus goes in every night, the Toyota van gets in whenever it can".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis