Need an opinion regard two deWalt 18V Circular Saws

I have the opportunity to purchase one of two saws. "In Canada we don't get the amazing selection our neighbors to the south get..."

Both are deWalt 18 Volt Cordless Kits. The first is a DC or DW390K. The second is the DW939K.

The 939K is not listed on the deWalt.com site. But is retailling through Amazon.com.

From what I can read both saws have identical features.

I'm hoping someone has better or first hand knowledge of these saws.

Both saws are the same price. I'm leaning towards the 939K because the supplier is giving me a second battery free, in addition to deWalt currently offering a mail-in Free battery as well.

So for the 939K I would end up with the saw kit and a total of three batteries. The 390 I would only have two batteries. Up here these batteries are $129 a piece.

Food for thought. The Ryobi "looks like a toy" 18V is only a 5 1/2" saw at $180. I can purchase either of the deWalts for $299. The next step up is an 18V Makita at $460 CDN which I assume must be gold plated and is totally out of my price range.

I think the deWalt is best choice. The question is: Which is the better saw. If there basically the same saw, I might as well buy the

939 and get three batteries out of the deal.

Any thoiughts...

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Canadaian Volts must be less than American volts ;)

I finally replaced my sears labeled Ryobi router with a Porter Cable. I thought the Ryobi/sears wasn't as bad as everyone says until I got a chance to compare the two side by side then I couldn't believe how bad the Ryobi/Sears was. I was going to leave the PC in a table and didn't even buy the plunge base for that reason since my old one was a plunger but I sold that old one on ebay within a week of getting the PC there was so much of a difference in quality.

Reply to
Eugene

In Canada the DW930 is 18v? Down here it is 12v.

However, the Ryobi is certainly not a toy. I have used mine moderately for

2 years and it performs fine. I will agree that my Dewalt cordless tools are better than my Ryobi tools, and if you are going to push it the Dewalt is the better choice; but otherwise the Ryobi is a good value.
Reply to
toller

I own "a" DeWalt 18v circular saw (don't have a clue as to the model). It is a handy tool for places where electricity is hard to come by, but very limited in its use otherwise. IOW, it doesn't come out except on the rare occasion there is no electricity, or it is difficult to get electricity to conveniently, like on a rooftop. IME, consider the tool only if that is a common occurrence with your anticipated use.

And gather all the batteries you can. Even better, and as they wear out (which will be sooner rather than later with the DeWalt batteries and the saw), send them in to be rebuilt by

where they will come back longer lasting and with more power than when they were new.

Reply to
Swingman

DW939 is 18V "maybe I typed the wrong digit"

I agree with what you wrote. But compared to any other circular saw "with a few exceptions" it looks more like a toy or an appliance. Frankly, till I got the purchase offer, I was heading in the direction of the Ryobi. It's tempting at $160 bucks. Especially since it's an 18 Volt tool.

The selling point for the deWalt is the Free batteries. At least with the deWalt, I should stand a better chance of getting replacement parts, warranty service, and batteries for several years. That's why I wanted a big name saw.

There's a couple of battery companies in this area, I'm sure they can supply and/or repair the batteries.

I can get accessories and other deWalt products anywhere. For Ryobi, I'm limited to Home Depot.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Pat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have no direct knowledge of these saws. However, it is a common practice for manufacturers of all kinds of products to create products numbered or packaged for sale only to specific, usually large, retailers. Sometimes, but not always, these products can be a good value for consumers.

It makes price-matching between retailers difficult. For retailers, this is often seen as a good thing.

My experience with DeWalt products has been generally positive. I haven't ventured into Ryobi territory. Certain things scare me. Cheap power saws are in that category.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

That is absolutely true.

I'm surprised there are no product manuals or online tool reviews when I try a search for either model. So for it's 99% ebay sales ads.

Oh well, I have to keep looking..

Thanks for your input...

Pat

Reply to