Need advice

I got this email from a friend. I don't have any experience but thought someone here might know some tricks..

We had a bag of stuff sitting on our kitchen table and something leaked and appears to have soaked the ink off the label onto the table. I didn't know if you knew any tricks. We are going to try a commercial ink remover but failing that the only thing I know to do is sand the whole table and restain/seal it. Any other ideas?

Many thanks, Russell

Reply to
Russell Bennight

As weird as this may sound, if the ink hasn't soaked into the pores of the wood, try hairspray. It's an amazing ink remover and not hard on finishes.

Reply to
D Steck

One "obvious" comment -- 'whatever it was' that leaked is proven to dissolve the ink in question. thus it _should_ be usable to take the ink up _from_ the table.

That aside, a great deal depends on _what_ the pre-existing finish on the table is. The trick is finding something that will dissolve the ink,

*without* dissolving whatever the finish is.

Without knowing what the finish is, and what type of ink is involved, any specific product mentions are just a 'wild guess'. Be *sure* to test anything on an 'inconspicuous' finished area _first_, to make sure that it doesn't damage the finish. *then* see if it will take up the ink.

a partial list of things to try includes: soap (e.g. Ivory, Dial, etc.) and water dish detergent (e.g. Palmolive) and water alcohol (If you don't have isopropyl on hand, cheap vodka can be used :) ammonia "Simple Green" a citric-based cleaner -- e.g. "Orange Clean" "Oxy-Clean" "Goop"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I'd try alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl rubbing) or acetone (nail-polish remover) but be sure to test them on the table's finish first - alcohol will soften/remove shellac, for instance, but tabletops probably shouldn't be finished in shellac to begin with. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Acetone is much more likely to pull up stuff with it. I'd be very careful with it.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Hair spray works because it usually has alchohol in it. You could try rubbing alchohol, but bve careful of clouding and try someplace not viseable first.

Acetone, gasoline and bleach all come to mind as well... Then again, so does fire, but you want to keep the table, right?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244

Joe AutoDrill

It would be a big help if you could identify what leaked .

I would start with a wet paper towel and see if any of the ink comes up. It may take several applications.

If that does not work move up to the vinegar, alcohol, acetone etc cleaners.

Try each with a cotton bud to test the stability of the finish.

Reply to
marks542004