My sister tossed out her old countertop...

... her old maple butcher block tabletop.

The hunk I salvaged is 49" long by 22" wide, made of laminated maple.

Looks like I found the top for my workbench. Now "all I need" is to build the workbench.

Heck, if I do a Tage Frid-sized benchtop, I might have enough wood already for the rest of it.

So . . how to approach this.

My instinct is to rip apart the failing laminations and re-do the glue up using modern glues. Just a guess that modern glue and the lack of daily washing down with warm water will last longer than I will.

Ideas welcome.

Charles

-- Ready to start sucking . . .

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Wish I could stumble on something like that. Maybe I could ask for my coffin early and turn that into a workbench :-) The 22" sounds a tad narrow, do you have any plans to beef up the width a little?

- Al

Reply to
Al Spohn

I'm kinda bummed because of the lack of length. Width isn't out of line with Tage Frid's bench. I already have a "Big Table to Clamp Things On," though in retrospect I should have allowed greater width at the edges for clamping things.

Cut and learn, I guess :)

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

If you don't mind sacrificing a bit of width, you can add to the length. Here's how: Cut the counter in half along the diagonal, making two right triangles. Slide the triangles down one another, adding to the length and taking away the width. use whatever joinery you like along with glue to re-secure. Trim to size.

Reply to
Jay