My Own "What Is It?"

I came across that is basically shaped like a pair of pliers except it has complementary small ovalular regions (~~3/16" long) dugout in the upper and lower jaws of the "pliers". The tool is probably at least 50 years old. I'm guessing it's for some type of clamps (the sort where you squeeze the ends together to release pressure). But that idea only holds water if the ends of the clamps are basically made out of steel wire. Any ideas? BTW, I might be able to part with this rare tool if the price is right! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

pliers except it has

in the upper and

least 50 years old.

you squeeze the

holds water if the

Any ideas? BTW,

is right! ; )

Sounds like a radiator hose clamp tool to me. I'll bet the jaws rotate? The good ones did.... phil kangas

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Sounds like you're describing a radiator hose clamp pliers.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thank you for your interest. There is a bolt going though both handles which allows one to vary the minimum distance between the jaws (min is about 3/16"). I wouldn't say that the jaws rotate, but they are not aligned--which adds support for your radiator clamp tool proposal. I'll try it on a radiator hose clamp if I can find one...

It IS very well made--solid, built to last. Reasonable offers accepted! :)

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Maybe they fit 50 year old radiator hose clamps? They don't resemble any new radiator hose clamp tools (I've been looking at)... I think you are correct though.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

It does sound like hose clamp pliers as others said. Post a link to a picture for us.

Gordon Shumway

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That would be hog ring pliers

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Hog ring pliers perhaps?

the first reasonable page I found.

Rob Morden

THAT IS absolutely what it is. Though the pair I obtained (accompanying a number of other older tools) is made out of a bit more metal. Looks like it could be a handy tool for repairing a fence or a task along thouse lines. I guess I'll need to be on the lookout for some "hog rings". : )

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill

You will need to find an "OLD" car as this type hose clamp had not been used in many many years. The clamp that they work on is very simple, a spring clamp if you will.

I used to sell them back in the 70's for about 50 cents per pair. You can keep them.

Reply to
Leon

No, it's been determined these are "hog ring clamps". BIG-difference... I should try to market them in a Harley newsgroup... ; )

Reply to
Bill

The other use for hog rings is automotive (and maybe other) upholstery.

Gordon Shumway

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Actually a trim or upholstry shop would be a better bet if you are serious.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not too serious. I bought a box with a hand plane in it, and the hog ring clamps were in the bottom of the box. Having been picking them up every week or so for the last 2 months, I'm happy to finally know what they are! Like others, I assumed they were clamps for rubber tubing. It's sort of bothersome to have tools you can't identify. I think the "What Is It?" threads are great!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Be aware there is more than one type of hog ring.

At least my dad used different types when we had hogs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

-- Yep, there is those little rubber rings that slip over the testicles of hogs and other farm animals. A lot of work to install those things on account the animal is rarely cooperative.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I hope they are nothing like the "calf frys" they served down south....

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I would think someone with that job would be willing to pay alot for a hog ring clamp. ; )

Reply to
Bill

a couple more applications for the ringer is in ringing wire like hardware cloth or chicken netting together for making cages for animals. I worked on a mink ranch when I was young and they used hog rings for mink assembling cages. also can be used to seal the end of sausage casings, like summer sausage tubes.

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

As an upholsterer, my first thought was hog ringer pliers, also. Upholsterers use these often when a Klinch-It Fastener can't (normally) be used to attach coil springs to jute webbing, ie., awkward positioning, so an alternative tool (hog ringer) is used when repairing springs/attachments without disassembling a whole piece of furniture/fabric. We also use spring clip pliers, which is somewhat similar to hog ringer pliers (but different jaws), to attach springs to a stiff wire edgeing, for a framed set of coil springs. One can, maybe, describe a spring clip as a modified/specialized hog ring, though I doubt a spring clip can be used to ring a hog's nose. Hog ringer pliers are a typical/common tool for attaching hog rings to automotive fabrics in some nonvisible locations.

Yep, lots of uses for hog rings/pliers in applications other than hog's noses.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny