What is it? Set 405

I could use some assistance with the last item in this set:

Rob H.

2343: looks like a device they would attach in the old days to a coffin, jic the person was still alive. 2346: type of scraper, the part that flips down and is held by the ring would hold the 'knife' in place.
Reply to
tnik

2342 Polishing stones to remove flashing from cast parts.
Reply to
Leon

2341 Used on a politician to keep his mouth shut.
Reply to
Gerald Ross

separator. I'm guessing that the hammer was not for hitting, but to BE hit by another sledge while another operator held the parting fork on the work.

Perhaps (and especially due to the angle), this was used to pull bolts or rivets out of large iron work.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

And the hooks, on each end, would be attached to a "cord" to pull (from the inside) and to ring a bell (on the outside), hence, saved by the bell.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

..just in case they were a 'dead ringer'.

2344 is the button on the bottom of a stapler to rotate the plate and change the direction of the bend.
Reply to
humunculus

Always thought 'saved by the bell' was a boxing term...

Reply to
humunculus

I would guess railroad spikes.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I would guess it is either a special made pickle fork for separating ball joints or it is a special made break-off hammer used at a foundry for separating gating components from castings.

Reply to
jim

2346: a "scraper" with replaceable blades (missing)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nope

I think this is probably correct but haven't been able to prove it.

Reply to
Rob H.

..just in case they were a 'dead ringer'.

2344 is the button on the bottom of a stapler to rotate the plate and change the direction of the bend.

Correct, one is a Stanley and the other a Swingline stapler.

Reply to
Rob H.

Railroad spike puller is correct, as Lloyd said it was hit on the other end to loosen them.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, they work similar to landmines but the application is different.

Reply to
Rob H.
2342: Whisky stones.

Rob - stop using images which can be found via TinEye.

Reply to
KentWalker

It looks as if a scraper blade would wiggle and push the device open.

I wonder how they bend bamboo tines at Jake's Rake Repair Center. You could bend the end of the tine in this clamp and soak the end of the clamp in a pan of water, upside down from what's pictured. When it dries, you should have a tine with a hooked end.

Reply to
J Burns

2341. I'm guessing at a tool for fixing crimps onto the likes of webbing (military?). Possibly a cobblers tool, perhaps a saddlers. Finely made though, and it won't be coming apart or losing any bits. The opposing threads look very good. 2346. Pure guess, a plumbers tool for shaping /manipulating lead sheet/flashing or pipe. Probably a million miles off. I think the retaining ring is a red herring, this ring would probably not survive long in use and I can't realise how the ring may serve any useful purpose. Nicely made tool, perhaps too posh for a plumbers bag. Damnation, I have seen this before but cannot remember what it is. Another senior moment.

Just my tuppence worth. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

2341 - Looks like a cobblers sole clamp.

2342 - Tumbler media?

2343 - Device used by people who are worried they could be buried alive?

2344 -

2345 - Old pickle fork style tool. The other end is the striking face.

2346 - Scraper. Takes a blade between the two parts and has different shaped blades depending on what you're scraping.

Reply to
Steve W.