my new website

I've been reading this group for about 8 years (I'm more of a reader than a poster). I've gained a lot of information over the years. About 4 years ago I left my job to start a furniture business. I've finally gotten around to doing a website showing samples of my work. Take a look when you get a chance--maybe it will inspire you that way some of the other people's websites have inspired me.

the site is:

David

Reply to
David Penner

Very nice David. I like the Brake Rotor table.

Reply to
Leon

Me too

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Thanks. I've made a few of the disk tables using slightly different leg designs. Quite interesting to see who recognizes the top as a brake disk and who doesn't. You should see some of the looks I get at service shops when I ask for old truck disks and then tell them that I use them as table tops.

dp

Reply to
David Penner

EXCELLENT!!!

Reply to
Tom H

Beautiful stuff David.

I love the fact that this is not traditional furniture. It is bold and innovative.

And I am a big fan of sculpture too.

You aree doing good.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You are indeed an artist ... in the finest sense of the word.

Reply to
Swingman

"David Penner" snip

Excellent work, I too like the use of everyday objects as works of art. I wish you all success.

Small note of caution: When collecting old brake rotors, clean the asbestos carefully.

Dave

Teamcasa

gloves, and face shield) using an angle grinder with a wire wheel. I then use a big propane burner to heat up the disk while I apply boiled linseed oil---similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. When it cools, but is still warm, I apply wax. Gives a great finished surface for indoors.

dp

Reply to
David Penner

Thanks. I really enjoy what I do. I love making furniture, but enjoy being able to try other avenues of expression.

dp

Reply to
David Penner

Nice.

although I did not recognice the break rotor I liked it anyway. The incorporation of metal into the designs (like those cross pieces) is really nice.

I really liked this too:

tatefully prepared minimalist website. I like it.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

The rotos would have to be pretty old. The use of asbestos in brake linings was outlawed in the US in the mid 80's.

Oh, and great work David!

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Steve

Thanks for the kind words. The site took at bit of time--it's my first time doing one--but it came out the way I wanted it to. I looked at a couple of design books that focussed on the aesthetics rather than the technical; that really helped.

The hanging heart was a gift to my wife. We have a small, old bungalow that someone in distant past opened up the living room ceiling to make a vaulted ceiling. THe hanging heart hangs from the ceiling--the bottom of the heart is about 7 feet off the floor. Because most people don't really look up that much when entering a room, it's always fun to the see the look on their faces when they notice it for the first time.

dp

Reply to
David Penner

Nice!

I'm not normally a fan of art furniture, but I REALLY like the brake rotor table and the table made with two spalted slabs.

Very nice...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Very impressive, you have a very diverse set of talents (both metal and wood). Very interesting designs; thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your furniture business, looks like you have the right stuff to do well.

Mark & Juanita

I absolutely love to see people's work who aren't afraid to take chances. That doesn't always work, but in your case it works for me. Thank you so much for sharing.

Reply to
Robatoy