Modifying plantation shutters

I was gifted several hunter douglas plantation shutters for my patio doors. I have several door walls. The plantation shutters given to me are for a home that has 10 ft ceilings. I have 8 ft ceilings in my home.

Is is possible to cut them down to the right size? It would need to be cut down from115 in tall to 96 inches tall. Which would been taking either the top or bottom off and removing louvers? These are adjustable louvers. All wood plantation shutters.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Reply to
Yv Wms

The top and bottom are likely mortise and tenon joint, note the length of the rod into that operates the louvers. Take pictures as you disassemble, be systematic do one first to figure it out.

Not a job I would take on myself, good luck.

Reply to
Markem618

Stile. The Shutter stiles are the upright, vertical sections of solid wood. ...

Top Rail. Horizontal bar at the top of a shutter panel gives it's form, structure and stability (with a notch for the tilt bar).

Bottom Rail. ...

Push Rod/Tilt Bar. ...

Slats/ Louver. ...

Hanging Hinge. ...

Mid Rail. ...

Mouse Hole.

Did not know the names of the parts so fpounds these terms

Reply to
Markem618

I'm surely not a great woodworker, although I enjoy seeing the work of others in this NG.

That said, I did once manage to take a group of 100+ year old window sashes, remove the glass, cut 6 inches off of each sash (upper and lower), re-create the mortise and tenon joints, and put them back together (with some wood glue involved). I took a glass cutting wheel with the oil and shortened the glass up, then glazed the sashes back in. For a DIY job, I think they came out surprisingly solid, all told.

Reply to
Michael Trew