Mod for DW621 Router?

I have a DeWalt DW621 router that is about 6 years old. Not as variable speed model. I have become increasingly unhappy with it. I never did like having the plunge lock work by twisting the handle. Very easy to tip the router while adjusting the depth of cut. It also does not easily lend itself to gradually ( say 1/8" at a time) increasing depth. Now the plunge mechanism has started to slip on me, so after making 2 or 3 1/2" deep cuts, the next one may go to 5/8" or even more. Bummer.

Anyway, is there a modification that can be performed or some way to better control this beast?

Reply to
John B

Well if you find the base unstabile - get a round base for it

- say from Pat Warner.

For progressive depth cuts, there is a depth stop turret with three stops you can set on the 621 (and other plunge routers) for progressive depth of cut cuts.

As for the depth stop rod slipping - the 621's plunge is very smooth and the return spring isn't overly strong - so you don't have to really slam down on it to get it to move. I don't understand why the rod should be slipping and allow for deeper than desired cuts unless you really slam it against the turret stop - or really really really lean on the router while routing. Did you by any chance put oil, grease or WD40 on the shaft?

As for the Twist To Lock handle arrangement, I like the fact that I can retain control of the router with BOTH hands and NOT have to reach for a locking lever.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb