Minwax PolyShades, Can't I change the color?

Hello,

I recently built a coffee table made of solid pine. I put one coat of Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner, and three coats of Minwax PolyShades Bombay Mahogany 380/480.

My issue is that the color does not go with the rest of our furniture in the room and want to change the stain to Old Maple 330/430 or even Royal Walnut

350/450. Basically we want a more brown color and no red.

Minwax writes: "PolyShades also allows you to easily change the color of your currently stained or varnished wood without stripping. Over old varnish you can change or darken the color without removing the old finish or hiding the grain."

Has anyone attempted a stain change with PolyShades? Do I have other options, aside for striping and re-staining?

Thanks Daniel.

Reply to
Dan

I think maybe the key word there is "darken". I've seen the Bombay (for some reason my daughter wanted her futon frame that colour, and there's no arguing common sense with teenage daughters :-). With a colour that intense, it might be tough to get it more brown without losing the grain. I'd suggest a test piece first.

Reply to
Doug Payne

I have used the Bombay on a daughter's end tables.

I doubt you can change the color to a lighter version.

I would burn the table or give it away. (consider it a prototype)

Starting over is easier at times....

Next time do a "sample" piece on plywood rather than experimenting on the final version.

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

PolyShades is more like paint than stain, but that is besides the fact.

I would find a brown color and try it over what you have. It might tint it more brown. Or, it might not.

Well, actually, I would just paint the sucker.

Reply to
Toller

The other color polyshades over what you have may be fine. Also look at spray lacquer toner. Bahlens is one brand. It can go over poly, may not obscure the wood as much as polyshades, and may bring you to the color you like. Lots of "mays". Good luck.

Reply to
No

Carefully and completely test it first on scrap or an unseen area of the item!

Depending on the curing (not just "dry") status of the Polyshades, lacquer (a.k.a. Behlen's toners, Deft, etc...) can wrinkle and eat into varnishes. Polyshades is a colored poylurethane varnish.

Varnishes can almost always go over lacquer. When lacquer is applied over a varnish, it must be applied very lightly and the varnish must be completely cured. Even if the varnish is long cured, a heavy enough application of lacquer can wreak havoc.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to sample the stain on an unseen part of the table first and see if I get the results I'm looking for.

Let you all know how it goes... Thanks again.

Reply to
Dan

Wed, Aug 30, 2006, 12:04pm snipped-for-privacy@no.e-mail.com (Dan) doth sayeth: Hello, I recently built a coffee table

I'm always slightly puzzled by questions like this. You've got the can, right? The can has a label, right? The label has a 1-800 number, right? Call the 1-800 number and ask someone from the company your questions. That'd be my first option. My second option would be to ask my mother. My third option would be to ask here. In real life I might well just think about it awhile, then just start over from scratch, not asking anyone anything. Either that or change all my other furniture to match it.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:29:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T)

That's easy ;)

Reply to
George Max

My first option is to ask here, and I'm glad I did.

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions.

Dan.

Reply to
Dan

Sometimes you get useless info on here, but more often than not, most everybody tries to help. Others offer opinions. Chances are somebody has done the same thing and found a work around. I would save the 800 number for a last resort. You know they're going to tell you something totally "by the book".

Reply to
Tim Taylor