Minor Table saw accident

This didn't involve any blood, just lots of swearing....

I needed to cut a 45 on a length of treated lumber, so I cranked the angle all the way over to 45 degrees. No problem so far. Treated piece of lumber is 2x10 so I needed to adjust the blade higher.... The handle was at the bottom of the turn so I got lots of speed on the way up, lots of speed right up until my thumb joint contacted the fence rail and my cranking stopped suddenly as my swearing started. Something to the effect of son of effin b***** no good rotten b.... well, you get the idea. I was sure that I'd broken my thumb but luckily I didn't.

Not sure that I can blame the design of the saw (it's a Grizzly) but if I were to design one today, guess where there'd be a little more clearance.... :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

That's the "other" reason we were taught in shop 101 not crank the blade on a table saw too fast ... the first was so that you didn't slam into the pre-set stops.

Maybe teaching shop in primary schools was not such a bad idea after all. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Try slamming the vertical stop on a PM66 and see how difficult it will be to release the blade from it's position.

Dave

Reply to
David

DOH! I meant the height adjustment. Bring the blade all the way down, quickly and then try to bring it up again. It's a bear.

Dave

Reply to
David

Ahh, you're just doing a drive-by on the PM66 (I don't blame you) ... but even it might need some dry lubricant on occasion. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

What does that mean??? A drive-by. Are you saying something good or something bad about the PM66?

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

I've done similar things before. I was dropping the blade below the table to switch to a dado head, spinning the wheel as fast as I could and my hand slipped, came flying off the handle and smacked into the front fence rail hard. Left really nice purple bruises across the top of my hand.

Ouch. Glad you're okay.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Did the exact - same - thing, exactly once with my new Grizzly. It really, really hurts.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

slightly bad. No big deal. My Unisaw doesn't jam as easily.

Dave

Reply to
David

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll only do this once too!!! :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

I couldn't believe how bad it hurt!!! I'll be much slower next time.

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

I just had my "shop class" lesson the other day. I have a very tough teacher so I'll remember the lesson well. :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

Welcome to the wREC.