Microjig wood splitter opinion

I've thinking of getting one of these gadgets and was wondering what your opinions are of it. It appears that lee Valley has the best price for it. 14 and change. Thanks

Reply to
Joe

I use one. No complaints. It seems to work fine but I'd guess there are several other varieties of these that would work as well. I haven't had the need to try the +.003 (and more) feature as yet. But it doesn't fall out or cause problems and it does keep the piece against the fence as well, as advertised. Overall, I'd say a thumbs up would be in order. Mine is the standard kerf and I use it in one of the white plastic (UHMV ?) inserts.

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

I like mine.

My only complaint is that occasionally it gets stuck in the kerf and pulls out of the insert. This is a rare occurrence, so don't get too worried about it.

My real splitter choice is the Biesemeyer, but they don't make one for my saw.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

That's me as well (I have a Ridgid). The microjig works fine for me but I wish it would work for mitered cuts. Still for what it is supposed to do, it does it well. The price is definitely right.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mine gets ripped out all the time; I suppose it gets looser each time. I am thinking of epoxying it in place (and using a different insert when i don't want it.) Does that make sense?

Reply to
toller

Makes sense to me.

So you're saying mine will probably come out more, as I use it more?

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thumbs up from me on the MJ Splitter

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- EZ Smart Guide System

Woodcrafter

That is my experience. Each time it gets ripped out it wears the holes a bit, making it that much easier to come out next time. I made my zcis out of fairly soft luan because it had horrible (ie. no) grain and no other use. If you used harder wood, yours should last longer, but eventually...

Reply to
toller

I find that the type wood has more bearing than the wear and tear. If the wood tightens back into the kerf and the board is bowed it tends to grab and lift my splitter out of the hole. The splitter may come out 2 or 4 times in one day and at other times and or on different wood it may be weeks before it happens again. Make sure that you fully seat the splitter.

Reply to
Leon

I don't have one of these, so I have to ask. Of what use is this microjig splitter if it comes out of the wood several times in a week? Is it lodged in the wood being cut at those times still preventing some measure of kickback?

Reply to
Upscale

Mine's MDF... That might not be so good.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y