Metal dectector

Any recommendations for a metal detector? How about the Little Wizard? I need to scan some old pallet boards. Thanks

Reply to
Phisherman

I've had a few different types, and the best performance has been from the 'airport security wand' style. Hey, if they can detect a microchip in Scully's neck, they're sure to find a nail or staple in that board you're about to run across the jointer. A number of manufacturers make them, and I have no recommendations of one above the other. Mine lists for around $80 - I paid about $40.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Reply to
Mark L.

I use a treasure type metal detector - Bounty Hunter - before I pass used wood through my planer. Works just fine, but I still perform a visual inspection...just in case. Have fun. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I have the little wizard which works ok, but I wouldn't trust it entirely on the thicker material. I have the Lumber Wizard arriving at some stage this week, so once I have a good run with it, I'll post a review on my site :)

--

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- Triton Powered Respirator

Woodcrafter

I've got a Zircon Multiscanner Pro SL, I set it for metal scan and it seems to work OK.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

I bought one of the early versions of the Little Wizard and found it of NO value in detecting anything smaller than a small nail. I then bought a Lumber Wizard and it works much better. If you have one of these Wizard Industries detectors see their web page and you can vastly improve the performance of your detector..even the Little Wizard.

Lawrence L'Hote

I think if you're serious about metal detection, spend $150 on a commercial grade scanner such as one made by Garret. I bought a lumber wizard and found it was very sensitive to calibrate and erratic in operation. It had difficulty finding any metal that was more than 1/2" deep in the wood. I returned it to the seller.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Reply to