MDF vs HDF

I have a small part I want to fabricate from 1/2" fiberboard and it will have some chamfers, a few routes etc.

Eventually, I'll have the parts painted. (probably a light texture to hide imperfections).

Is there much of a difference in the way the medium density material will machine as compared to high density?

Is the HD better or MUCH better as far as chipping etc?

Thanks.

Reply to
mkr5000

Never machined hd, but mdf machines well, routes to nice crisp edges, etc.... Of course it produces powder as fine as talc, not shavings or chips, so be sure to account for that. It also paints well. If you prepare it properly (prime it), you shouldn't have any imperfections to hide. Also, be sure to seal any edges. untreated edges soak up moisture like a sponge.

hth,

jc

Reply to
Joe