Making dimples

I've been thinking of that too, but now it's August in North Carolina, daytime highs around 100 with about 90% humidity and my shop is in a detached garage with no A/C, nor even cross ventilation. I don't expect to do much but plan until September when the heat breaks.

Funny place, central NC. August is unbearable, then comes Labor Day and it's like somebody flipped a switch: temps and humidity drop overnight and we settle into fall, until sometime after Christmas.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Wed, Jul 30, 2008, 2:54pm snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Richard=A0Evans) did thusly proclaim: Not practical. I'm thinking about building a pipe rack for oversized briar pipes. Racks for normal size pipes typically have a shelf with a dimple in which to rest the bowl, and above that a notched strip to hold the stem so the pipe sits vertically. Said shelves can be as long as needed to hold however many pipes you have. All my pipes are hand carved and extra large, so don't fit in normal racks. Someone earlier mentioned a fluting bit for a router, using it in a drill press, but the size I need is over $90, so that's out.

Oh damn, stopped by to see if silly season was over yet. Not yet.

No brainer. Cut a half circle out of metal, slot a piece of small metal pipe or round stock, slot the half round pice in the slot, solder or weld. Viola, cost zip, and you've got a custom dimpling thingy. Either that or use a big ass hammer to make your dimples. Or do like a lot of commerical pipe racks, drill holes of the required size in a piece of wood, lay that on top of another picee, and there's your custom dimples. Use your imagination. Better yet, quit smoking, sell your pipes, buy lumber.

I'm going back to my shop, where I figure out my own answers.

JOAT If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter.

- W.S. Lind

Reply to
J T

I have neither metal working tools, nor ability.

Kindling, more likely.

Then it's not a dimple, it's a hole.

I hope you are a damn sight better at it than figuring out answers for other people.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Hot here in Baja, but not as bad as there.. Average in the last week has been around 92f with 50 to 70% humidity.. Down to high 80's and slightly lower humidity at night..

Next month is the worst... Glad that we get a break on electricity cost during the summer months..

My shop has A/C, and it's on all day, but only the lathes, BS and hand tools are in the shop.. The grinders, TS, router table and the rest of the flatwork stuff is out on the carport.. Even with a covered carport, sometimes the TS is too hot to touch comfortably, and sharpening lathe tools is as quick a trip out and back in as possible..

October is when "snow bird" season begins... best months are Nov. - Feb. and holidays are fun when visitors come down and didn't bring t-shirts and shorts.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis