looking for wood for floring in/near boise

    • C
  • posted

Hello,

My SO wants to put wood flooring in the basement that I am building. however, she does not want a "standard" oak flooring, but something that is more red/dark and wich wide boards (4 to 6 inches)...

Of course, you can not find something like that at HD or similar, so I was thinking of using cheap hardwood and route tongues and groves on them...

What do you think of that idea? I only need 100 sqft.. What type of wood should I use (must be low cost, < $4/bf) any advices from the experience peoples around?

thanks, cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson

Wood flooring and basements are problematic. Are you building up a floor with insulation and vapor barrier? If so, any local wood should do. Local sawmills and suppliers will have better prices than something trucked, of course. Wood flooring also has relief cuts milled on the back.

It may be easier and cheaper in the long run to use an engineered wood floor with proper barrier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski