Looking for web (or other) resource on dissimilar woods I can glue together

I would like to make a decorative tapestry hanger in the form of a dowel. I have mahogany but I want to make a sandwich with a dark wood in the center so that I end of with a mahogany dowel with a dark almost black stripe in it. Can anyone recommend a resource I can use to learn what dark wood I can glue up with mahogany that won't split later?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder