Looking for Unimat SL information

Hello,

I have the chance to get a Unimat SL lathe pretty cheap, but wondered how they are - if they're good or not. This one seems to have some accessories in the box, but I haven't had the chance to really look at them yet. Just wondering if this would be good to start woodturning (small scale of course)

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
ClevelandTech

It's a very small high quality metal-turning lathe, and worth a great deal to folks who use one. Parts cost an arm and a leg, the motors are unreliable, but they're really nice for watch or model making types of work. I have a full Unimat SL rig my father bought back in the '60s.

Unless you have a need for making small metal parts, you'd do well to buy it cheap, sell it very high, and buy a large wood lathe.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I bought one back in the '70s and liked it for turning and milling small aluminum parts. There are better choices for woodturning, though, that I'd go with today.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Thank you for your replies.

I'll pass on this one, and look to getting a larger lathe in the summer.

Thanks again.

accessories

Reply to
ClevelandTech

I have 2 SL's and have wood working attachments and have great success with wood turning! The size if the limitation. With riser block youi get 3" max and only 7" long, but you can not but appreciate the accuracy. For model making the SL can't be beat!

accessories

Reply to
oldsalt