Little OT: 8' truck bed going away

I'd be really surprised to see an actual GVWR of any full sized pickup built in the last 40 years that limited it to only 1000 lbs. What's the curb weight of your truck, and what's the GVWR?

Reply to
Larry W

I don't understand the cab stuff.. to me a pu is just that a bed for hauling. __The seats in the back are so small in most of these, unless you get a crew cab that they are not worth it.__ Except in Kalifornicating where it's illegal to ride in the bed... as well as some other states (remember the illegals 10 riding in the back who were running from the cops and flipped killing most)

Reply to
woodchucker

accommodate the truck market.

Shut up!

They already are making 3/4 1/32 thinner each year soon the 3/4 will be

1/2 and the thin veneer will be painted on.
Reply to
woodchucker

I have a 12YO Ranger with the extended cab and four doors. There's never been anyone in the back "seats" but I would never buy a standard cab. I carry lots of stuff back there, locked and out of sight. We've taken it on many trips (it's last will probably this spring) and we travel with the suitcases back there.

What I don't understand are caps and covers, particularly the solid ones. If you want a station wagon, buy a station wagon. ;-)

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You'll need a can opener to get the top off if you want to haul something tall. At least with the caps and covers (caps maybe not so much) you can remove them with a reasonable amount of hassle.

The snap fabric covers make a lot of sense to me for a truck bed, the other covers not so much.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I like my original Truxedo ... seven years and it's going strong.

Swingman

Only the one "townie" SB has 3-doors w/ the relatively small seats in back (the other "real" work trucks are straight 2D conventional cabs). If had crews, etc., that would be a whole different thing but since don't I'll trade the bed for the cab and keep the shorter wheelbase for my purposes.

I've got a conventional molded topper on the SB; it's dressy for town and while not terribly secure it is dry yet provides decent height for more bulky stuff. We took it to West Coast (OR/WA) when daughter had moved w/ a rear full of boxes of her stuff from TN house and three. Comfortable enough if not luxurious in rear for us given none of us are tall...

Reply to
dpb

10 minutes will take the cap off my Ranger. About half an hour to put it back on..

With a hard toneau, about 3 minutes off, and about the same back on.

The snap-op toneau I had on my '57 Fargo Custom came off in about a minute - went on in about 3 if it was warm and dry - forget about it if it was cold and/or damp. It was made of convertible top material and fit like a drum-skin.

Reply to
clare

The problem with a hard tonneau is that it is a two person job to remove and replace and then where to put it once it is removed.

Reply to
Leon

The Truxport and Truxedo soft tonneau covers use velcro rather than snaps and are much easier quicker to deploy or roll up regardless of temperature. Also, having had the snap type in AZ, the snaps are really hot to the touch in summer!

Also, there are folding and retractable hard covers although a bit pricey.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On 2/10/2013 8:15 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Some bicycle hooks (or similar) and pulleys from the garage ceiling make short work of it--can do the cab-height hardtop shell on the SB by self

Reply to
dpb

Some years ago I bought a used full size 86 Chevy that had a Leer cap on the bed. I was able to remove and install it myself in about 10 or

15 minutes by using a pair of 2X4s as ramps to slide it off the bed sides and onto the ground, and vise versa. As I recall only 4 bolts and nuts held it on, one at each corner. This was a pretty simply made, very basic bed topper, I'm sure that there are others that are too heavy to be done this way by a single person.
Reply to
Larry W

I plan on either carrying over my Truxedo to a new truck one of these days, or purchasing another Truxedo.

For my purposes (and the ability to _quickly_ convert to carry tall items like cabinets and furniture) of all the pickup bed cover solutions I've used down through the years, the Truxedo is the most versatile, fastest (under a minute), and has the fewest compromises of all.

Of course, YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

Leon

The 3 or 4 piece folders are nice. Fold them up, pull the pins, and pop it off. Depending what you are carrying you can leave the tonneau inside the box.

Reply to
clare

Mine fastens with 4 aluminum "G" clamps.

Reply to
clare

Forget the snaps being hot - the Fargo was metallic BLACK - you could fry eggs on it on an average summer day

Reply to
clare

Assuming there is a garage.

Reply to
Leon

$5-$6/gal will speed the process along.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm confused. $5-$6/gallon gas will speed up the process of placing a cap on a PU? Building a garage? Making sure there are two chickens in every garage?

Oh, and I'm quite sure that Obama will get it at *least* that high, which will make you giddy, I'm sure. I just don't see how it's relevant to hanging a truck cap from a garage ceiling or the statement that it's hard if there is no garage. Please elaborate.

Reply to
krw