Light for router

After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router (maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

Reply to
David

Dave,

You need to stop woodworking with the lights off! :)

Reply to
stoutman

Maybe I should pay the light bill, eh? I spent all the money on tools!

Dave

Reply to
David

"After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router

Well the brand everyone loves to hate, Craftsman, had and may still have, a built in light. My two 40 plus year old Craftsman's have built in work lights. They are the ones I reach for to do critical work out of five (I don't like to change bits). Always wonder why the big names, Porter Cable, for example, never did this.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

How about one of the clip on led lights. Lighter weight and batteries last longer. I've got a pair of the Panther Vision clip ons I use on my glasses - safety and regular. I think you could clip one or two on a router quite easily. Here's the set I have

I paid about $17 for them at Lowes.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I had a Craftsman router with a light in it once. Was my first router and was a gift from my dearly beloved back when she was still dearly beloved. It got tore up pretty quick as you can imagine. Then I went out and bought a Porter Cable. No light, but I still use that router all the time ;-)

Moral of the story? Never buy a router with a light.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

That looks like it would work fine. thank you. Gives me a good excuse to drive to Lowe's (26 miles away...have a HD about 5 blocks away which is always out of whatever I need, so invariably I go to the next closest one, about 2 miles away)

Dave

Reply to
David

shouldnt be that hard to mount a superbright LED with a diode and current limiting resistor so it runs off the 120 volt motor supply. sometimes you can just use clear silicone for mounting. I do lots of things with LED's now. Its my favorite light source.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

Reply to
Gene T

Not trying to be contrary here but besides being easy on electricity consumption and not getting very hot, what is the rage with these LED lights. They blind you when you look at them but seem to only put out minimal light. My brother in-law bought a flash light with 9 LEDs and its kinda lights up a dark room. Compared to a simple 2 AA cell MAG light it sucks. My wife has a new sewing machine that uses 36 LED lights to shine

12" and I can drown all that light out with a simple MAG light. For Christmas I was given a combination wear it on your head light that uses 5 LED lights 3 red, 2 white and 1 regular tiny regular lamp. The tiny regular lamp out shines them all. IMHO LED's are bright to look at but do not put out much light. Is it a fad thing right now or are the lights just being used for everything right now and eventually they will only be used for stop lights? What do you find them useful for?
Reply to
Leon

" It got tore up pretty quick as you can imagine"

Always heard some people can tear up a wrecking ball. Both my 40 plus year old Craftsman with light are still working perfectly, have replaced a few bulbs. I also have a Porter-Cable.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Reply to
Russ

Some small LED light would be bright for close range and compact. I have a little one on my keyring that has 4 button-cell batteries. Or a

2-AA headlamp might be a more compact design than a maglight. I think I'd prefer to have better overhead lighting, or maybe a lamp to clamp on to your work surface, because I think my router points different directions each time I use it - I wouldn't want to have to worry about pointing it in the direction of the light. If you get something figured out, though, let us know - I'd be interested in seeing it. Andy
Reply to
Andy

Yeah, but *more* people can tear up Craftsman power tools ;-)

Seriously though, the new Craftsman "Industrial" line seems to be pretty good. I've owned a Dewalt, err, Craftsman Industrial drill for about 10 years now and routinely use it to the max. Except for a switch I had to replace early on, it runs like a champ.

Well yeah, if all you do with it is do a little dainty edge molding once a month ;-)

I'm just messing with you. Some Craftsman tools are ok. I also have a Craftsman socket set that I paid way too much for that is holding up handsomely. You'll have to admit though, when it comes to power tools, the lower end Craftsman should either be avoided, or used very very gingerly.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I ordered some stuff from Harbor Fright some months ago and as a reward for spending money with them, they gave me a head mounted light (no you don't have to drill any holes). They probably sell them for a couple bucks. cheapo, jo4hn

p.s. It's still in the packaging so I don't really know how effective it is.

Reply to
jo4hn

If you had a 28 year old router like my old Craftsman, you'd already have a light on your router. It was a standard feature on some models. Boggles the mind why some of the best ideas are forgotten and ignored.

Tom in KY, My old Craftsman router is NOT for sale BTW.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

"Well yeah, if all you do with it is do a little dainty edge molding once a month ;-)

The one I bought new has been used thru building two new houses, door hinge mounting thru building kitchen cabinets for both houses, furniture and crafts since.

"the lower end Craftsman should either be avoided"

As with most lines and I agree, Craftsman did try to live on their name for many recent years. It is a mystery how someone could take "The Worlds Best Company" and turn it into a pile of crape so quickly.

Paid too much for hand tools? I bought several sets of wrenches and a new

1/2" socket set complete, ratchets and all, several years ago because they were such a good price on sale. Have a set of wrenches in each vehicle plus a couple in the shop. Haven't even used the socket set except the 1-1/4" socket which my 60 year old SK set does not have.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

well they are way easier on batteries than your mag lite. you can now get very bright power led's that are easily as bright as anything else and in a smaller package. I build custom lighting effects in clear and textured acrylic so I use them in a lot of custom applications. they have a life span longer than me so I can build them into things without worrying about how to replace the bulb. but other than that not very useful.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

I do see a good use for the as locally in Houston most all traffic stop lights have been replaced with the LED lights and automobile manufacturers have been using them for tail lights for 3 or 4 years. Still those are to be looked at vs. illuminating a distant object.

Reply to
Leon

The Leon entity posted thusly:

Well, those two reasons and 'bulb' life.

I have the same head-light, and I find it to be one of the most useful lights I own. The red is perfect for not destroying my night vision, though it could be a tad less bright, and still serve the purpose.

The white LED setting is perfect for those times when I go outside for a few chores at night. Around here, if there's no moon, you can't find your bum with both hands, and the white LEDs are more than enough to keep me from tripping over things.

The same setting is also good for working under sinks or for putting up shelves in a closet, or whatever. I got the unit over two years ago, use it a LOT, and have yet to replace the batteries.

Reply to
Oleg Lego