Leveling water-based wood filler

If you've sanded down nail holes or dings which have been filled with water-based fillers such as Zar, Elmer's etc., especially on stained or finished surfaces, you know how long it can take, and the risk of leaving a light stop around the filled area. Next time take advantage of the fact that even though these fillers dry hard, they are not water resistant. A moist paper towel or rag rubbed across the spot will level the filler faster than you can sand it, and with much less effort. I wait to fill until after a coat of sealer so I am better able to color-match the filled area, using artist's oil pigments.

Reply to
James Brown

A good tip for sure, but you definitely want to seal the wood first. If you don't the water can raise the grain on many kinds of wood and create more sanding/ scraping work to be done.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum