left tilt saw and measuring

And as testament to the accuracy of your Unifence and some one else's Jet Bies clone fence is that they both cut parts on 2 different saws and they all fit together. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Measure twice, cut once" or whatever floats your boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Exactly, that is the reason to use a tape. Some times a measurement looks totally different when the fraction of an inch is on the other side of the whole number. ;~)

With an upside down backward tape measure I was often known to adjust 23 and

1/4" to actually cut 22 and 3/4".
Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:13s747p2ulhpe37 @corp.supernews.com:

If I stopped at the second measurement, nothing would fit!

I like the saying "you can always remove more wood, but you can't add any." (There's also "Cut it twice and it's still too short!!!")

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I HAVE a better fence now...it was Dad that was too cheap to buy a different one.

I don't have a Tee-square fence, but the one I have now is good and the price was right. The fact that I still measure each cut is a habit I've tried to get away from, but I just can't seem to do it...a little bit OCD about it, I guess.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Then you have to turn it over and cut the other side to get it right.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOL, after using a tape measure with a lousy fence I had no problems not using one when I got a good fence. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

You mean people actually *USE* those goofy stick-on rules glued to the fence rail?

I don't!

Reply to
Jones

Goofy? Not mine, it is extremely precise with the Beis fence. Shame yours is not reliable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suppose I could loosen the screws and move the pointer, but I just don't trust it.

My default is to use the rule between the fence and the blade...or use bar stock for setting height, etc.

Then you don't have to worry about whether the pointer or the fence rail or the part of the fence that holds the pointer moved, or the plastic lens that holds the reticle bent, or had its refractive index change, or the lines of the planet's magnetic flux shifted, or whatever.

The fewer links in the chain, and simpler the sequence of events the better, I figure. YMMV.

Reply to
Jones

As someone else once said,

"You can always cut more off, but you can't cut MORON!"

Reply to
Jones

Yeah but can you get it to within two THOUSANDTHS? ;-)

Reply to
Jones

That is probably the best approach with your quality tool phobia.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A few years ago, my nephew was in the high school marching band. When it was time for the local Christmas parade, my sister - proud parent that she was - videotaped the band as they passed by. Christmas Day we were all gathered around the television to re-live his moment of glory. As we all watched the video, my nephew exclaimed, "Hey look, everybody's out of step but me!"

Keep doing it your way Jones, everybody's out of step but you.

DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Absolutely, but you can't have a goofey saw and or fence.

Reply to
Leon

If you had a good fence you would not give it a second thought.

I usta do that when I had a piss poor fence.

Measuring between the blade and the fence increases those links and chance for error. If you don't hold the rule perpendicular to the blade or fence you can end up with a cut that is too narrow. Most all modern fences these days offer repeatable accuracy.

Reply to
Leon

Ain't that why they put a square end on the Starrett rule?

(Yep, everybody knows those Powermatic 66s are a POS.)

Rock on.

Reply to
Jones

Yeah, If you have a PM 66. Not likely you have one and cannot depend on the fence to give you good readings.

Reply to
Leon

You worry too much. With my old saw, I'd agree. With my Delta and Beisemeyer fence, the shortest and fewest links is to trust the fence as it is accurate and repeatable and firmly locks to where the line is pointing on the scale. More accurate than a shifting fence when you lock it after measuring.

Sorry you have an inadequate tool.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski