Learning to use new jointer

John,

I was doing exactly that, and like you say, it makes for a lot of scrap! I was also standing way to the right of the outfeed table and shoving the board into the blade.

Thanks for the tips!

Dave >I made the mistake of pushing down into the blade when I got my jointer.

Reply to
Dave

Hi Nate,

I am in Greeley. Whereabouts in Fort Collins? About the only place I go to over there is the Sears Trostle store over by old towne. Are there any other places around to find good wood?

How are you liking our January weather?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bob,

Let 2nd or 3rd or 4th the suggesti>Dave,

I was curious about that. It seemed like 1/32nd was a pretty hefty chunk. I will raise it up to 1/64th tonight.

Got the part about the cupped side down ok, but what I was missing was the standing to the side. I was at the back of the board pushing it with one hand and holding down with the other! Only when I got within a couple of inches of the blades did I move the right hand to the outfeed side.

The edge jointing I was getting good results on. It seemed natural to stand almost dead center on the jointer and move the board past the knives with a hand to hand motion.

Dog hates it when I pet him backwards!

With resources like you on this group, who needs an 800 number!?

Thanks for the excellent info!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Mike,

I am using rough cut stock, and it was certainly "fitsing and starting". To the extreme that I had waves in the surface that had just gone across the knives. I think I undeerstand what I was doing wrong now, and will have to go get some more stock so that I can try out all the good advice gotten here.

Want to mention that I have gotten some excellent info from your posts (along with a number of other folk) from just lurking. Having asked a question, I am pleased to report that the quality of information is still very high.

Thanks for the help (Past, current and future!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Whereabouts? I am in Greely. (If you have a sensitive nose, don't come this way!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

See, SWMBO was absolutely correct.......position is everything....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Does the project you have planned require 8' to 9' long stock? I cut the stock to slightly longer than required before surfacing. It makes things much easier.

Nova

The current project does not, but the next one will require some 6' to

7' lengths. I agree, when the stock is shorter, the jointing is much easier.

On the brighter side, I have gotten some in/outfeed stands, and with the input I have gotten from everyone, I think the next round will go much better.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Good luck Dave

Keeping the thing tuned and sharp knives are important (wait until you have to replace the latter...OUCH!!!) LOL But I can say that I did a big project over the summer on my Delta 6" where I "abused" it so the $50 for new knives after two years of relatively regular moderate use was expected.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Hi Dave,

I'm in southeast Ft Collins, behind the new hospital. Give me a call if you want to come by and test out jointers (I'm in the book).

Yeah, January is sometimes a bit cold out in shop (which is located in the third bay of my garage). I recently got a ceiling-mounted IR heater that is a big help. Lately I'm just building small stuff (boxes with marquetry and the like, and trying to get practiced at hand-cut mitered dovetails). SWMBO is talking about getting me to build a dining room buffet for her, though (wahoo!). I am ready to make real piles of sawdust again.

Sears Trostel has a woodworking class that they have run the last couple of months that covers techniques with several power tools, including the jointer.

Cheers, Nate Perkins

Reply to
Nate Perkins