Laying deck boards

Do you put the old wood up, or down? Old wood down would tend to cup
on the surface due to warpage, but old wood up can lead to shelling.
Quartersawn decking? Sounds expensive.
Thoughts?
JP
Reply to
Jay Pique
Old wood up so the cup is on the bottom. This puts the crown up and it will shed water. Otherwise the cup will hold the water which is worse. I have both on my deck as I bought milled boards with rounded edges and 3 grooves on the bottom and didn't have any choice in how to lay them. I know better now.
Art
Reply to
Wood Butcher
Yeah - I agree. But I thought I read somewhere (Understanding Wood) that they said you should put them the other way. Plus, some show on HGTV had a couple of "expert" carpenters say you should put the old wood down - so that it would shed water! I see a lot of bad or just plain wrong woodworking/carpentry information on tv these days. DIY is the worst.
JP
Reply to
Jay Pique
lay them so that they warp with the center up. This will do a couple of things: 1) shed water instead of holding it 2) make for a smoother deck. If you lay them cup side up, the edges will stick up, and you'll have lots of little ridges. Cup side down gives you a "hilly" surface, but its alot easier to walk on, and less trip prone.
--JD
Reply to
jd
You mean old wood down so the cup is on the bottom. In other words, center of tree down Or Quarter sawn, yikes.
Like this /^\ /^\
Reply to
No
Use a under the board fastening system and don't worry about any of that. I used Deckmaster but there are others. You will end up with a MUCH nicer looking deck that will last a few years longer. Fastner failure is the biggest cause of deck failure.
If you MUST fastnen from the top, use square drive stainless steel screws.
Reply to
Pat Barber
No..the square drive is for your benefit. They are MUCH easier to drive. The stainless is for longevity.
Reply to
Pat Barber
Tried some square drive stainless deck screws here a while ago. No, didn't cam out, just stripped in place.
Reply to
CW

Site Timeline Threads

  • I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width of 53". The...
  • last posted in

    Woodworking