How to use a mobil base on my new closed base bandsaw

I just got a Delta 28-206; a 14" closed base bandsaw. I have a HTC mobil base for it; I think it is the HTC1000. The mobil base consists of 4 corners with wheels, and angle iron to connect them together.

As long as I have a closed base bandsaw, it seems more elegant to bolt the HTC corners directly to the bandsaw base. It will be some work to drill holes in the saw base, but it will be a bit smaller and one less point of instability.

Any problems with this approach that I am overlooking?

Reply to
Toller

Strength of the sheet metal corner of the closed case, they might bend out and deform setting the formerly mobile bandsaw in place.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Wherever you might roll the tablesaw, will any of that surface be uneven in any way? If not, considering the weight of the saw, I can't see a need for bolting to the mobile base. Yes, it will be one less point of instability, but considering the work needed to attach that mobile base, I wonder how necessary it will be?

Reply to
Upscale

I meant instead of using the angle irons; just bolting the corners directly to the base only.

Reply to
Toller

No, don't do it.. if you bolt it directly to the corners of the bandsaw, you are now trying to get 4 points in the same plane by eyeball (basically).. If you use the HTC base as directed, the angle iron takes care of it for you.

Not to mention, should you ever sell the saw to upgrade or whatever, it's likely the homemade "jerry rig" would be a turnoff to potential buyers.

Resist the urge to try and improve a product that has stood the test of time when used as directed. You have nothing to gain by modding it. For God's sake, follow directions! :)

Reply to
bf

Well, I didn't do it; partly for the reason you give, but also because I would have had to deal with nuts that were in the way. I would have had to drill more holes and use longer bolts to replace the ones that hold the various things onto the corners. That seemed like going too far.

But now I have a sloppy fit; about 3/4" in both dimensions. Stick some wood strips in to hold it in place?

Reply to
Toller

I put non-slip material under the corners of the machine to keep it from shifting. The stuff I used was left-over tool drawer liner. Wood strips would work as well.

Reply to
kkfitzge

The other poster's idea was good.. I have a HTC base on my jointer with some "slop" in it.. but I didn't worry about it.. the weight of the machine holds it in place when it's stationary. but yes, you could use wood strips to shim it in tight if you'd like.

Reply to
bf