Lathe spindle shuddering...??

When I am turning a spindle (36") on my Ridgid lathe, as I get to the middle of the length of the spindle, it begins to 'shudder' and seems to bow while spinning. I avoid pressing hard into the spindle when I expect this to happen, it solves to problem slightly but I end up only being able to remove little material at a time. Is there a way to rememdy this (without getting a spindle support attachment)? thanks in advance.

Reply to
ng

It's called "whip". You can lightly curl a couple of fingers around the spindle to support it while turning.

You may get some other ideas if you ask the question in "rec.crafts.woodturning".

Nova

You know the answer already.

Reply to
Morgans